Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Gentle Rain, Gentle Rain

7:00
A gray morning, with a rain that just happens to wet the ground.  Some fog rising over the hills above Bemus and Warner Bays.  Not a soul out, either in the neighborhood or lake.  I will have to change that when I go out for a paddle with my slicker.  It's 7:10 as I finish the writing phase of the blog and now as I get ready to kayak, it started to rain harder so I am not sure what to do.  Should I wait or rough it with a slicker over a tee shirt and bathing suit.  Well, I got out there and it stopped raining, so I had no need for a slicker, just a hat.

Kayaking On A Gray Morning

Cormorants Are Back

Osprey Hunting From High In The Tree
Yesterday I got back in a routine, starting the day with a paddle, healthy breakfast, writing my blog then driving to Lakewood for a Yin Yoga class.  I have been on vacation from yoga classes but decided it was time to get back in action.  Class, as always, was crowded but it felt good.  I think I needed it after being lazy for a good month or so.  Afterward, I came home straight home, expecting to help our carpenter, Austin, put in a sill plate on one of our garage walls.  He arrived just as I was leaving for yoga and I thought the job might take all day.  Well, he was gone when I arrived home at 11:30, the garage finished, the trash neatly tied up in a bag.  He will be back because I checked the other two sides and the sill plates have rotted out from the moisture and need to be replaced.

Evie had been busy, tearing apart the kitchen cupboards which tend to be overrun with glasses, cups, and bowls and other junk, so much so that it's difficult to get in a dried glass.  So she thinned the cupboards out, always reluctant to throw away anything which might be of use.  She was half done when I returned and was talking to our neighbor Joyce about gardens and volunteered me to help Joyce put in some plants she had bought recently.  That took all of twenty minutes while Evie finished up in the kitchen.

For lunch, I heated up a couple of pieces of pizza in a fry pan, the recommended way, and watched another episode of FAUDA, then read some and took a quick nap.  While I was doing this, Evie was at work on my computer pulling out photographs from the past for our son Tommy who wants to make some prints of their family over the years.  Always fun but also frustrating as the Shutterfly app does not always work easily.

Painted Rocks...Trashy Or Artsy
Around 4:30, I went out and cleaned up the garage, getting it ready for the next installation by Austin.  And I helped Evie with our painted rocks, putting on another seal coat, then placing them along our driveway so they look cool, not trash, a trick.  We were both sweaty from doing very little because of the humidity and solved the heat by going out on the dock for a beer and some pretzels, the lake practically empty, the late afternoon gray and fall like.  We loved it.

Enjoying the View with Evie's Favorite Beer and Glasses
For dinner, Evie fried up some burgers, roasted cauliflower and I heated up a can of Bushes baked beans.  We watched a couple of episodes of Stephen Colbert, with commercials to Evie's dismay, then switched to the first episode of Season Two of THE HANDMAIDS TALE, another violent episode which made Evie divert her eyes. The story depicts a dystopia in which a Christian cult, espousing traditional values take over the US and acts like ISIS, foisting their crazy beliefs on everyone, torturing or killing anyone who differs like gays or tries to rebel.  It is not very enjoyable to watch because it is so bone-chilling.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...