Sunday, August 19, 2018

A Pleasantly Cool Morning On The Lake

7:49

7:36...Sun Hanging High
I was up at 6:45 and now an hour later, the sun is a just visible disk in an overcast morning of gray.  It's 59º and still humid, the lawn wet with dew.  It should clear up late in the day and we may have some good weather.  I didn't get into the water till late, paddling back at 9:30.  I scared off a couple of herons before I could get out my camera but caught in cardinal in flight.

Kayaking Towards Long Point

Cardinal In A Flurry
Yesterday was a blur for some reason, melting into previous days.  I know I got in a paddle, that's one thing I remember as well as a trip to the Transfer Station.  I know now what the morning entailed. Evie was up early making sugar cookies for our niece Jennifer's sons, who will be staying in the Chautauqua Campground for the week.  So I helped by cleaning up after her, as she made cookies in the shape of flowers, hearts, and the favorites, feet.  Around 11:00, then when all the cookies were made, we gathered all the trash and I went to the Transfer Station and Evie went off to Lakewood, to do some shopping and return the flowers I bought and get something she liked.

It was strange to be 'home alone' because I usually do the shopping as Evie is somewhat limited with her back issues.  So my late morning, early afternoon was filled with leisure.  I did, however, get down the float from the attic of the garage and to my dismay found a nest of ants, crawling over the plastic float.  I eventually had to dunk it in the water to get rid of them and now I will have to clean out the attic to find the source of the ants.  How did they get up there and what attracted them?  Do they like plastic?  Anyway, once that was done I had lunch, the rest of the schnitzel in a sandwich and started a new detective series from Great Britain called DCI Banks.  It looks like something I will like and there are at least three or four seasons.

Evie was home around 2:30, with lots of goodies and a flat of flowers, one of her favorites, moonbeam coreopsis and some poppies, a cool pink.  I helped put things away and then we both relaxed the rest of the afternoon, Evie on the dock until it became too windy, then both of us on the porch.  Evie spent a part of the afternoon texting with our niece, as they were coming to the lake from Washington, having stayed in a Pennsylvania campground Friday night.  They arrive around 6:00 and set up their RV.  Meanwhile, Evie was putting together our dinner, scallops and linguini, one of our favorites.  We ate on the front porch, eschewing the TV for once and found we like it.  Surprise.

Happy Campers featuring "Chicken Man"
We then walked over to the campground to see Jennifer, Robert and the boys and the area was perfect, a large field in front of the RV, filled with kids, playing and riding their scooters.  James gave us a tour of their RV which easily sleeps all five, replete with stove, toilet, shower, everything one might want in an RV.  What a great way to travel and camp and quite a difference from our travels of five and sometimes seven in a VW van.  Robert built a fire, the boys roasted marshmallows and ate Evie's cookies until it became dark.  Robert volunteered to stay with Henry, their oldest, so Jennifer and the boys walked through the campground and woods to see our house, then back.  They are a cute family and we look forward to seeing them this week.  The boys are anxious to hit the dock, go for boat rides, and enjoy the lake.

We were both exhausted by 10:00, not sure why and went up to bed without watching any TV, a first for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...