Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Disgustingly Hot And Humid


6:18

6:50

Kayak Morning

Heron Hanging Out
It's 6:40 and I have been up for a half hour, to a some pink above Long Point, gray to the north and south.  It's already 75º and may get up to 90º in the afternoon.  The lake is calm, empty of any boats, the flag hardly moving.  Around 6:50, the sun popped up through the haze, an orange globe hanging over Bemus Bay, just to the south of Long Point.  It's 9:10 as I finish the blog.  I have already gotten in a long paddle to Tom's Point, washed the front windows, and Evie has been out watering the garden before the heat gets to be too much.

Yesterday was about as warm and humid day as we have had here at the lake.  Even closing up the house in the morning did little good and walking outside was like walking into an aluminum foundry and I know because I worked in one during my summers in college.  Still, I was able to get in a paddle early.  I was not sure about the rest of the morning but decided to ditch yoga and go for a bike ride on the new Riverside Walk starting in Fluvanna.  So I put the hitch on my car, tied up my bike and drove over to Fluvanna, next to the Subaru dealer.  The first two miles of the walk is mostly green fields, and it follows the Chadakoin River, about forty yards to the west.

Picnic Area At End Of New Riverside Walk
Unfortunately, the path soon ends at Mc Crea Point and I had to wend my way through streets and seemingly back alleys, ending up at the Jamestown end of the 3rd Street Bridge.  I then rode up 3rd to the Ice Arena, then to the Comedy Center.  I carried my bike down three flights of stairs to the bridges and walk along the Chadakoin River in the city, ending up at the Main Street Bridge which is being rebuilt.

Main Street Work
I then reversed my ride, taking the same route back to my car.  I was gone for maybe 45 minutes.  I then stopped at Tops in Jamestown and picked up a few groceries which we knew were on sale and Evie needed.  I was home around 11:30, took my bike and hitch off the car.

Evie had been busy despite the heat, putting together a couple of pans of baked ziti to freeze.  We will pull it out later in the month when she is convalescing from her back surgery.  I was going to wash some windows but it was too hot, with the sun still beating down on the front windows.  In fact, after Evie was through in the kitchen, we both decided to do nothing the rest of the day.  Around 1:00, Evie made me lunch and I watched another episode of DSI Banks but I am getting tired of it already so I may look for something else to watch.

Around 3:00, we decided to go for a boat ride, thinking that might cool us off.  It was a good idea because we found a nice breeze or even wind out on the lake, especially when we cruised Bemus.  In fact, the lake was choppy, so different from the calm in front of our house. We were gone for an hour and Evie relaxed on the dock while I put the cover on the boat.  We then took a swim to cool off, came in and showered and got ready to go out to dinner with our friends Marjorie and Ken.

We went to their house for a glass of wine and appetizers at 5:30, sitting on their great front porch.  We then drove 35 minutes to the Freeport restaurant in Pennsylvania, on RT 5, just north of Northeast.  We had been there a couple of times and wanted their perch fish fry which we remembered as being excellent.  Well, it wasn't this time, as the fillets look like they had been in a freezer for months and they were mostly batter.  We should have said something but didn't.  We did have a good time, however, with Ken and Marjorie, former school people like us.  And they are always game to go out for dinner, like us.  We were home around 9:00 and watched another episode of THE HANDMAIDS TALE before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...