Friday, June 8, 2018

Up Too Early But A Lovely Morning


5:25

6:00 

6:05
It's 6:15, the birds are chirping, a few bass boats have roared by, the lake's calm, the sun's up and so am I, since 5:20.  It's overcast although the sun has broken through to send its rays on to the lake.  It's 56º, almost tropical compared to yesterday mornings 47º.  It looks like a pleasant, mostly sunny day and weekend.  I had another great paddle this morning, calm lake, ran into neighbors, also out kayaking early.

Kayaking at 7:00
Female Wood Duck
Wood Duck Ducklings
Male Wood Duck Protecting Ducklings
Yesterday was a June morning like we remember, some coolness in the air, clear skies, sun, a light breeze and a cool night for sleeping.  That's why we love June and the lake is not very busy yet.  I got in a good paddle before heading off to Yin yoga at 9:30.  As I mentioned, if I don't get to class early, I have to put my mat in the front of the class, not my favorite place.  It's like sitting in the front row of a classroom.  On the way home, I mailed back to Amazon another pair of ill-fitting shoes for Evie, then stopped at the gravel pit and shoveled some topsoil into two buckets in the back of my Outback.  When I pulled into the parking area, Evie was out in the front yard, cutting both our yard and our neighbors.  Obviously, her back is getting better, as long as she does not overdo it (which she usually does).  Still, it was good and selfish on my part to see her back doing what she loves best, cutting grass.  And the smell of cut grass in June is glorious. 

Heron In A Deep Dive (Just Like Our Grandkids!)

Mallards In The Morning
And lunch was ready for me.  All I had to do was put the stuffed portabello and chicken thigh into the oven and heat it for 15 minutes.  At 12:15, Evie drove off to Mayville for PT and I watched another episode of Babylon Berlin, a very different detective thriller, set in 1929, pre-Hitler Germany.  I then tried to take a nap to avail, so I went outside looking for something to do.  Evie was back by 2:00 so we both continued our never-ending work to spiffy up the garden, moving plants, pulling weeds, spreading topsoil or mulch.  And Evie finished up cutting the lawns. I have to admit the yard looks great after cutting the grass.  We also have noticed that once again there is no rain in sight, so I put the sump pump into the lake and snaked a couple of hoses behind our previts all the way to the garden in our backyard.  So we will be able to water Evie's garden, the trees, with lake water. 

Bouganvilla On Our Stone Spydie
We finally finished up our chores around 5:00 and Evie quickly grabbed a couple of Labatt's Light Lime from the frig, some pretzels, and we were off for an hour cruise over to Bemus Point, along Lakeside Drive and home, our favorite.  There was not much action on the lake, the lake was calm, and the sun was warming so that we hardly needed fleece although Evie wore a blanket.  And of course, when we were ready to dock the boat, the wind picked up.  We planned since the morning to have an easy dinner, so Evie browned a couple of hot dogs, heated up her veggie soup, and we had dinner, half healthy, half filled with nitrates but good.  We watched some Colbert, started a series, Shetland, but soon got bored and tired so we both were up, ready for bed by 10:00, unusual for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...