Thursday, June 14, 2018

A Bright, Breezy Morning


First Light...5:00

5:55

5:56
It's a bright, shiny morning, a light breeze, birds chirping, the lake wrinkled.  I have been up since 5:00, up with the fishermen actually as a couple of boats were already out when I came downstairs. I guess the early bird does get the worm.  It's 7:15 and I am back from kayaking, from riding the waves down to Sandy Bottom and fighting them back.  The trip was made worth it, as always, if I get a photograph of a blue heron, this time sitting on a branch at the water's edge.

Kayak Morning

A Solitary Blue Heron
Yesterday was back to routine for me.  An early kayaking, then off to yoga at 9:30, with Jen, a small class of five.  Afterward, I stopped at Home Depot, hoping to find an umbrella for our table to no avail.  I then went next door to Wegman's and picked up enough to fill my small cart. The road is finally done, so there was no delay either coming or going to yoga.  When I walked in the house, Evie was busy cleaning out the bathroom linen closet, overflowing with half-empty bottles of soap, sunscreen, pain relievers and junk that we have collected over the years and never use.  They are now in the trash can.

For lunch, I had a quarter of a sub from Wegman's, along with some cauliflower soup.  I watched another episode of Babylon Berlin and just realized there are 15 episodes so I have nine more to go.  Cool beans.  Neither one of us did anything of any report the rest of the afternoon.  Some relaxing and reading either out on the dock or on the porch when it became too windy.  In fact, it was so threatening, so windy that we realized one of our chaise lounges was missing early evening.  So I went out and fished it out of the lake with a rake around 8:00.

A Threatening Afternoon Sky
Around 5:00, I took a short walk around Woodlawn, noticing that the summer homes are beginning to fill with neighbors, a good sign.  We enjoyed a glass of wine on the porch around 5:30 and there was not much to do for dinner as we were having leftover frozen moussaka.  For some reason, I had a hankering for a garlic bread I remember from our visit to Evie's sister Claire's home back in 1991.  We went to an Italian restaurant on Long Island and they had this amazing garlic bread, with tomatoes and mozzarellas on top of the bread.  Well, Evie replicated it so that we were both very happy with our dinner.  In fact, Evie thought the bread was so good, easy to make and cheap, that it could be a substitute for pizza. 

We have yet to find a series on TV that we are really into.  Both BILLIONS AND SUCCESSION are ok but they have not really grabbed us.  BILLIONS is increasingly confusing and SUCCESSION is only into the second episode so it's hard to tell if we will like it.  So we watched a couple of Colbert and some Vice News before bed. 

It's an exciting day for our daughter, Jill, and family as they fly off to Italy and the Greek Island of Santorini for a couple of weeks. 
Heading To  Europe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...