Sunday, June 24, 2018

Morning Mist


Evie's Garden 

7:38
Returning From A Paddle
It's 6:25 and I have been up since 5:45, on a mostly quiet morning on the lake.  Mostly because about a dozen bass boats charged out of the Long Point Marina at 6:00 and occasionally, another flies by Woodlawn.  There's a special kind of beauty to a morning like this, of little contrast, mostly gray lake and sky, calm and quiet.  And I seem to be the only one up.  It's 8:45, just started to pour, as I returned from an hour and a half paddle, over to Tom's Point and back.  On the way, I ran into fellow morning kayakers, Tina and Jim, and we ended up having a book talk, recommending our favorites reads.  Let's hope I can remember the titles Tina recommended.

Kayaking At 7:00 Towards Bemus Bridge

Hello

A Heron Blends In The Grasses
Yesterday was another cloudy day, with periods of sun which would then be swallowed by storm clouds and rain.  We got a half inch spread out over most of the day.  We didn't have any great plans at first, so we cleaned up the kitchen, gathered the trash and I went off to the Transfer Station, checked for the first time, for a sticker to make sure I was an Ashville resident.  When I returned, it was raining off and on, making it difficult to plan anything outside.  So we decided to drive to  Lakewood, stop at Spectrum Eyecare and pick out a pair of sunglasses for me, my first new pair in close to forty-five years.  I think I was due.  The gal added up the price not knowing I had an eye care plan and the cost was close to seven hundred dollars.  I almost fell out of my chair; she then redid it with my plan and I walked out with glasses for under two hundred bucks.  How does anyone without a plan afford to get new glasses when needed.

We then did a quick through our favorite grocery store, Wegmans, busy as usual but more so because the Chautauqua Institution opened yesterday, adding five to ten thousand more shoppers for the summer.  We were back by 1:00 and I had a piece of Buffalo Chicken pizza for lunch, from Wegman's, where else.  While I ate, watched World Cup, Evie put together our dinner of eggplant parmesan, so it was ready to bake.  I was looking forward to the Germany/Sweden futbol game because it was a must win for Germany.  They dominated the game but regulation time ended with a 1-1 tie.  In the last minute of the five minute extra time, they took a free kick and it curved into the goal, as the fans and announcers and I went wild.  What an ending.  Evie had just walked into the TV room in time to see it as well.  So the demise of the former World Cup champions seems to have been premature.

Summer Storm
After the game, we went out to enjoy the dock but within 15 minutes, it started to rain, again, so we came in and read or watched TV until about 6;00 when it cleared up, the sky and lake turned a Greek blue, so we grabbed a beer and sat  out on the dock sipping our beers and munching on pretzels for an hour, on a surprisingly quiet Saturday night on the lake.  Evie put the eggplant and garlic bread in the oven around 7:15 and we ate and watched Real Time with Bill Maher.  I know you have to be a screaming liberal to enjoy his show, his coarse and often profane humor but he is so smart and clever and for the most part, makes good sense.  And he's often critical of the Democrats but it pales next to his disgust and abhorrence for Trump.  We ended the night with a gruesome scene from GOLIATH on Prime Video.  Why must they show such violence?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...