Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Cloudy With No Rain In Sight


The Dude In His Cool Shades, Mystras,  Greece, 1974
It's a gray, dreary morning here at the lake despite the fact that the weather report says it should be a sunny day.  It sure looks like rain here at 7:00 but none is forecast.  It's a chilly morning of 51º, time to get out the fleece once again. It's 8:00 and I had a short, cold paddle, the only boat on the lake because of a choppy lake, cloudy skies, and wind.

Yesterday was a different day although not that different when I think about it.  I skipped yoga, felt guilty about it but I had an eye appointment at 11:00 so I could not also fit in a yoga class.  So after a rough kayak paddle, I got busy for a couple of hours, washing windows, to Evie's delight, then working in the privets, cutting down some of the wild weed trees that grow in the bushes.  I was done by 10:00, felt righteous that I had been busy in the morning, took a quick shower and both Evie and I were off by 10:30.  She dropped me off at Spectrum Eyecare and drove off to shop at Wegman's while I got my eyes tested.  My current prescription has changed slightly, not enough to warrant a new pair of glasses, maybe next year.  I did bite the bullet and am getting a pair of sunglasses, my first prescription glasses since buying a pair of hippie looking glasses back in the 1960's in Hawaii. They served me well all through my seven years in Istanbul.

Evie picked me up, helped me pick out new glasses but we are waiting for a new frame to arrive, one we think we will like better.  We then drove to Brigiotti's greenhouse and picked up some annuals and an amazing, expensive plant from Florida, a bougainvillea, one we have never seen in this area before.  As long as we keep it watered and warm, it should do well and if we bring it inside in the fall, it may do well.  We also picked a few other annuals and potting soil.

I had a quick lunch when we got home at 2:00, veggie soup and a ham, salami, and cheese sandwich.  It made me wonder why Evie makes such a better sandwich then me.  We relaxed some, reading, watching some TV and I  took a nap before we both went outside and worked in the yard, potting the petunias, looking for the right pot, watering and weeding before it was time to get ready to go out for dinner.

We had decided in the morning to hit Steeners and take advantage of their special, two Delmonico 10 oz. steaks and fries for $19.95.  We arrived later than usual, around 6:30 and the bar was practically empty, to our surprise.  And they had 16 oz Labatt's cans for $2.50, so we were happy.  The bar gradually filled up as we had our dinner and beers.  The steaks were extraordinary.  I have rarely seen Evie so happy, enjoying steak, fries, and a beer, the good life.  Steeners was busy because they have a volleyball league outside on Tuesdays.  It looked like fun and people were sitting outside on the patio, watching the game and having their dinners.

We were home around 8:15, in time to watch some Colbert and another episode of KEEPING FAITH, which is driving us nuts with some of its silliness but we keep watching.  Will she find her husband?  We were both happy to go up to bed early.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...