Wednesday, June 27, 2018

An Osprey Morning



An Osprey Landing

Settling Down To A Fish Breakfast

What's Up?
It's 6:22 and I have already been up for an hour, not fun.  The sky is mostly gray with slashes of light off over Long Point where the sun has risen.  It's 65º and rain is predicted on and off for most of the day and evening.  The storms should move in around 10:00 so I will be able to get in a paddle before driving to yoga. I just got back from a long paddle.  Evie and I were just talking about the fact that we rarely see a pair of herons. This morning, however, there were two standing on the Long Point fishing dock.  Just as I took out my camera, they flew off, in different directions.  It was disappointing not to get a photo of them but it was more than made up by catching an osprey eating a breakfast of fish, high up on a tree limb.

5:25

8:00
Kayak Morning
Yesterday was another fine summer day, lots of sun and not too hot.  I was determined to get in a bike ride, my first of the year, so around 9:30, after writing the blog, having breakfast and cleaning up the kitchen, I put the hitch on my car, secured my bike and drove over to Bemus, parking just beyond the bridge.  I surprised myself by being in better shape than I thought and rode for a good hour, with a couple of stops, down Lakeside Drive to Long Point State Park, through the woods to the Bathhouse, then out to Long Point and back to Bemus.  It was ideal weather for a ride, a nice breeze, sun, but lots of shade trees.

Mallards
When I drove into our parking area, Evie was out in the front yard cutting the grass.  And we were having our brick stoop redone by Austin, so he was busy, taking it apart, reframing it, adding sand, then resettling the bricks.  He's a good worker, doesn't say much, just gets things done.  My kind of guy.  While Evie cut the lawn and Austin worked, I settled down in the TV room to watch some TV with a half of Cuban sandwich from the Viking.  I felt slightly guilty but not enough to get back outside to work.

Once Evie was finished with the lawn, she relaxed some, hoping to put in some dock time but it was tres windy. So she put together our dinner, chicken parmesan, then relaxed in our side yard in our newly arrived chaise lounges.  Now we have SIX.  After my nap and World Cup, I helped Evie in the yard, trimming our lilac tree, putting up a string for our clematis to climb.  We were done with our chores by 4:30 and decided it would be a good time for a boat ride as the wind had died down.

So Evie gathered some libations, some appetizers, and we took our usual ride, over to Long Point, along Lakeside Drive to Bemus Point, then home, taking our time and enjoying the sun and cool late afternoon air.  When we docked the boat, I put on the cover since rain was expected and we both then took a swim to cool off and recharge our rapidly dwindling batteries of energy.   When we came in, Evie put the chicken parmesan in the oven for 20 minutes, made a salad, heated up some Italian bread and we had a good dinner.  We watched Stephen Colbert, a couple of his shows because we were having some trouble with Amazon Prime.  It was not worth the hassle to stick with it, and we were both tired from our day and went up to bed earlier than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...