Thursday, March 8, 2018

Why We Love Winter (Even In March)

Victoria

David And Pat's Road

Woodlawn

Victoria
Well, it's 6:40, I have been up since 6:15 and it's snowing. And we have a winter storm warning for Chautauqua with  6-12 inches forecast for tonight and tomorrow.  I guess we should love it, right. 

6:10

6:26

7:35
Yesterday morning was another snow day, so much so that I had to get outside around 9:30 and go for a hike around the Woodlawn/Victoria woods.  The new snow frosted whatever the previous snowfall had not covered so it was, to use a cliche, a March winter wonderland.  I probably could have skied or used my snowshoes but I wore hiking boots instead, sinking a half of foot into the snow as I walked, a good workout. 

Evie's back was feeling a little better, a result of the epidural from Tuesday.  She was able to get around with less pain and even had enough energy to put together snickerdoodle dough in the morning and bake them in the afternoon.  After my hike, I decided to head into Lakewood for my semi-annual Mall Haul.  I shop the bargains at Bon Ton, where the winter clothes are usually 70% off the sale price.  So, the last thing I need is more shirts but I found two more I liked, both thirteen bucks a piece, so I bought them.  What the heck, I'm retired and bucks up.  And I get tired of wearing the same old 15 shirts.  I also stopped at Shoe City or whatever one of the three discount shoe stores are called and bought a pair of running shoes even though I don't run.  The first pair I picked out had a 12  and a 13.  The gal searched and searched for the second 13 but could not find it, so she gave me another pair of a similar type for the same price, a deal.  I left the Mall happy, obviously oblivious to the idea of avoiding 'accumulating more things,' but well aware of the idea of shopping and buying and getting a deal as a kind of therapy.  I needed it.

Mid Afternoon Sun, Clouds, Blue Sky
When I got home, Evie had a couple of homemade (not frozen) burritos warming in the oven, filled with eggs, bacon, avocado and cheese.  I could barely get up off the couch and go take a nap after eating two of those big boys.  The rest of the afternoon went quickly, as Evie baked the snickerdoodles and had a good talk with our daughter Beth. 

We were able to have our late afternoon wine time before Evie put together our delicious dinner, seared scallops in a shallot/garlic/vermouth/chicken broth/lemon sauce with linguini.  It was fabulous, as always.  And we watched a couple of more episodes of THE KILLING, as well as some Colbert and Vice News.  It was a pretty good day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...