Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Spring Is Less Than A Week Away?


7:33
 It's 7:15 and I have been up for an hour, as the winds blow, the snow continues to fall.  We must have gotten eight inches overnight, perhaps another five today.  It's 25º out and I cannot even imagine the idea of spring.  It's a stunningly white morning and I am just going to enjoy it.  So how did I enjoy it? My getting out there before 8:00 and shovelling for a half an hour, clearing the parking areas, and I am sure it will be out there again by 1:00.

Kind Of Loving Winter
Tuesday was a forgettable day except for Evie's baking of Mrs. Snavely's coffee cake.  Mrs Snavely was my Grandfather Camplejohn's lady friend and would always bring this coffee cake to a gathering.  We loved it as kids and Evie's made it quite often for our family.  Our only regret this time is that our grandson, Tyler, who loves this cake as well, is not here to enjoy it with us.  In fact, I am eating a slice, sipping my coffee as I write this blog at 7:30.

So morning for Evie was taken up with the putting together the nuts, sugar, flour and sour cream for the cake and baking it, so that it was ready for enjoying early afternoon.  I was determined to get in some cross country skiing despite the fact that it was a gray, wet snow morning.  So I drove down to Mayville, intending to cross-country ski on Webb's trail.  Unfortunately, the park area was taken up with trucks working on the entrance to the trail or so it seems.  I tried to find another way to enter the trail to no avail.  So I parked next to the beached Chautauqua Belle and skied along the lakefront just south of Mayville, on the newly paved walking/hiking/snowmobiling trail.  It was not much fun, the snow wet, the trail a mess so after 15 minutes of fighting the wind, I turned around and headed home, discouraged by the outing.

Cross Country Skiing In Mayville
Lunch easy, the last of the squash bisque and a leftover Slovenian sausage from Sunday night's dinner.  After lunch, I finally got into my new book by John Hart but fell asleep while reading it which is not unusual.  Around 3:00, I moved our car and did a quick shovelling of our parking area, anticipating the snowfall overnight.  I was tempted, only tempted, to go skiing as the sky had opened up some and the sun came out for a bit, leaving shadows on the lake

5:36 PM
For dinner, Evie browned some Italian sausages and mushrooms, added a pasta sauce and dinner was virtually ready, once the pasta was done.  We also had a salad, de riguer for our evening meals and watched another couple of episodes of The Killing and Stephen Colbert.  Colbert had a couple of interesting guests, David Byrne from the Talking Heads and the next night, Tom Brady, from the New England Patriots.  Both were interesting and fun to watch.  We then watched some of the news, the election returns from Pennsylvania and went to bed with the final vote still up in the air. 

7,000 Pairs Of Shoes Memorial: The number of children killed by guns since Sandy Hook.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...