Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Foggy Dawn (Bucovina, Romania)


7:10

7:54
It's 7:30 and I have been up for an hour, waiting for the fog to lift to no avail.  I can just see to the lake's edge, Long Point invisible, just our hulking trees are apparent.  It's warming up, 38º, probably the reason for the morning fog.  When I walked outside, I could hear somewhere in the gray the honking of what I assume is the return of Canadian geese.

Yesterday was one of those miserable spring/winter days here at the lake, a wintry mix earlier, a gusty wind most of the day, gray skies, melting snow and puddles everywhere.  So it was a good morning, day, in fact, to just hang out in the house.  Evie, however, had to be up and out by 9:15, for a hair appointment in Lakewood, then a big shopping at Wegman's because it was Senior Citizen's Day, a 5% discount on groceries.  As a result, I had an unusual morning, all alone so to speak, an empty house with nothing but a few dishes to do. So I did something unusual; I turned off the internet and for the rest of the morning, I was unable to use my computer, phone or TV.  The house was quiet, soundless, as the usual sounds of Michael Smerconish on Sonos were quelled.  I have to admit I enjoyed the silence, the discipline I showed by not turning on the TV or computer for a couple of hours.  What did I do?  I finished my book and thought about life (just kidding), waiting for Evie to get home.

By noon, I had enough of being a Luddite and plugged the power cord back in the outlet and the wifi and TV quickly lit up and I was back into the 21st century.  Evie returned around 12:15, the car groaning with bags of groceries.  I helped unload the car and let Evie put things away because my lunch of a toasted cheese sandwich and a can of clam chowder soup were ready.  So I watched another episode of La Mante, ate my lunch, while Evie put away groceries and reorganised the already crowded pantry.

The rest of the afternoon went quickly and neither of us had any desire to go outside.  I started a new book, William Johnson Longmire novel, napped, and joined Evie as we watched some of the breaking news about Stormy Daniels.  Just kidding.

Dusk
We had a glass of wine after I made dinner.  I brought in the slow cooker from the porch, plugged it into the wall socket, hit the button and warmed up our previous leftovers from a corned beef dinner.  Evie made a salad and that was dinner, more cabbage, potatoes, carrots and corned beef.  We watched a new series called TRUST on FX, about the J. Paul Getty family and the kidnapping of Getty's grandson.  We ended the night with Vice News and Occupied and some home improvement programs, a night of viewing variety.

A Bit Of Nostalgia:  Bucovina, Romania, An Amazing Group of Painted Orthodox Churches (the Interiors Are Plain). By the way, we could not find a campground so the Mayor took us to a family farm, where we slept under eiderdowns, kids bathed in a wooden tub heated by a wood fire, and they fed us all for about five dollars.  We were probably 10 miles from Russia.

Exterior Frescoes, Summer, 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...