Friday, March 16, 2018

A Friday Of Blowing Snow (Ryder's Cup, Lakewood, NY)


7:23
It's 8:30 and I have been up for over an hour, having stayed in bed much later than usual.  I did not feel like getting up and greeting the morning sunrise.  The wind, however, and its buffeting the house and our front porch canvas curtain finally got me out of bed.  Anyways, the snow has stopped, the wind has lessened and it's another mostly overcast morning, a snow-covered lake, a parking area which needs my attention, once again.

Thursday was a day after the great snowfall.  I was surprised that most schools seemed to be open on Wednesday despite the snow storm and only restaurants seemed to close their doors.  We had our typical morning of coffee, Morning Joe, then Michael Smerconish on Sirius Radio.  He's our favorite, down the middle, listens to both sides and is usually the voice of common sense.  Evie had a growing list for Wegman's so I volunteered to drive to Lakewood, to get the things we needed, or more accurately wanted.

Joyce And Daughters
I stopped for coffee at Ryder's Cup and Joyce, the owner, and her two daughters were behind the counter, so I took their picture.  I then picked up some cash, for the weekend, in case we go out to dinner tonight.  And I had a quick shopping trip at Wegman's, picking up the staples but also some goodies, Utz chips, affinois cheese and flowers to cheer up Evie.

Spring Flowers For Evie
When I got home, Evie put together a quesadilla and heated up the broccoli and cheddar cheese soup she made on Tuesday from leftover cooked broccoli.  March Madness started yesterday at noon so much of the afternoon, I checked up on how the games were going, mostly as expected except for the late evening game when MAC champion Buffalo put the brakes on highly seeded Arizona.  How great for the MAC conference.

Most of the afternoon Evie sat in our TV room, scanning photographs from our very first album of lake pictures.  It's time-consuming but fun, too, a trip down memory lane,  and by 5:00, she had scanned the entire album, into an album on Google photos.  She has the patience of Job to take on this project as she had many more albums and old photographs to scan.

Around 4:00, I decided to give cross country skiing a go in our neighborhood. I started on our road, attempted to ski over or through a four-foot snow drift and fell.  It ain't easy getting up on cross-country skis once you fall.  I righted myself and struggled to ski through three feet deep snow and soon realized it was no fun, just hard work.  So I skied home, stored my skis on the porch and came into the cosy house, ready for a glass of wine.

At least dinner was easy, after cocktail hour, with a simple appetizer, pretzel sticks and onion dip.  I highly recommend it!  Dinner was a second night of the leftover leftover meatloaf, with leftover baked potatoes but newly sauteed Brussel sprouts. We finished Season Three of The Killing, a tense final episode and now have six more episodes to go in Season Four.  We were excited to see that the second season of Norway's political thriller OCCUPIED is now on Netflix.  It was one of our favorie series from last spring and there was some doubt as to whether there would be a second season because it was supposedly the most expensive series ever made in Norway.

A Bit Of Friday Nostalgia:

Our Grandchildren In 2004
Our Grandchildren In 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...