Tuesday, March 6, 2018

A Late Winter Walk Through The Chautauqua Institution

6:43

6:54

7:01
                                                                  The Difference
   
"There's one thing about a big snow in March.  It hasn't the staying power of a January snow.  It can clog and confuse mankind's daily life and make our complex routines both hazardous and difficult for a little while, but snow melts and thaws in March as it seldom does in January.  March isn't really Spring, in this climate, but it isn't Winter either.  The sun, as we say, has moved north and those long nights when the snow and cold could sink long fangs that the brief hours of daylight failed to loosen are now past.  Midday can now be mild and the sun's warmth begins to beat back the frigid forces of darkness.  The vernal equinox is near." Hal Borland, SUNDIAL OF THE SEASONS. 

It's 7:20 and both Evie and I are up.  It's 23º and the morning sun has just disappeared behind a cloud bank, leaving behind a yellow streak just above the horizon.  Later today, we may get what they call a wintry mix, rain and snow but not until the afternoon.

I got a good laugh this morning reading the headlines in our local paper, The Post Journal.  NOW ONLINE CITY POTHOLE REPORTING AVAILABLE.  Wow. We are really tech savvy! Can't wait to start reporting but don't know where to begin or stop.  Anyways, yesterday was a pretty good day, as I drove to Jamestown in the morning, to get some things done and walked the Chautauqua Institution in the afternoon, and had a favorite dinner last night, country ribs in sauerkraut and tomatoes.

I headed to Jamestown around 9:15 because I wanted to have a Southwestern breakfast burrito at the Labyrinth Press Coffee shop on 4th Street.  It's a vegetarian coffee shop, with an interesting menu.  The burrito is big enough, too, so that I was able to take half of it home for lunch.  After breakfast, I walked to my tax guys office and picked up my return, happy with a couple thousand dollar return.  It's a nice way to greet Spring.  I then drove to Home Depot, picked up a couple of things for Evie, to hang more of our photographs, then shopped Wegman's for our dinner, the ribs and sauerkraut.

When I got home, Evie was busy, cleaning and vacuuming our entryway, always cluttered with our various shoes, boots and clogs.  I think we need a separate boot and shoe room.  Lunch was easy, the leftover burrito and another episode of BLOODLINE, seven episodes to go.  I am reading a Greg Iles novel, my third or fourth, so I am now engrossed in the dark side of Natchez, Mississippi and the life of Penn Cage.

Thunder Bridge

Baseball Anyone?

A Halo Of Sun
Around 4:00, I drove over to the Chautauqua Institution, thinking that their roads and walks would be clear of ice and snow and good for a walk.  I was right, so I spent a good hour walking the grounds, making basically a circle, freezing when I headed north along the lake because of the wind, enjoying my walk back with the wind at my back.  I don't think I saw a soul during my walk although I avoided the usually busy Bestor Plaza.

The Atheneum

A Bank Like Looking Church

The Bell Tower
I was home in time for wine time or more accurately, Bloody Mary time, with horseradish.  Earlier in the afternoon Evie had seared the pork ribs and put them in the oven with a can of tomatoes and lots of sauerkraut, so dinner was basically done.  And before my walk, I had washed up some red potatoes, so they needed to be boiled and mashed before we ate dinner.  We enjoyed our dinner and I had to have two helpings of the ribs, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.  Whoa boy, really good.  We watched three more episodes of THE KILLING until we both got so tired we literally could not follow what was going on.  I think it was time to head up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...