Thursday, March 29, 2018

Fog Bound Again


7:04
I was up at 6:30, to another foggy morning.  It's warming up for a day,  43º already, perhaps snow tomorrow.  Because of the fog, there's no striking sunrise to photograph, just a blanket of gray.  It's not my favorite kind of morning.

Yesterday was gray, wet and foggy much of the morning, some in the afternoon, with the sky opening up some mid-afternoon, so it was nice enough for me to get outside and start picking up branches and twigs since the last time I did it, about a month ago when we had a brief respite in the cold weather and snow. Obviously, it did not last long.

Around 11:00, I finally got my good old Honda Accord out of the garage, after sitting in it for most of the winter.  It fired right up and I was off to Lakewood, stopping at Ryders Cup for a coffee to fortify me for the next hour of shopping.  I stopped at the bank because Evie had taken all my cash the day before to pay for her haircut (Jaret only takes cash).  I then hit Evans Wine for a couple of bottles of sauvignon blanc, our favorite white, five bucks cheaper for a 1.5-liter bottle than the wine store in Mayville.  I then went to Aldi's because the Wednesday ad had just arrived and Evie checked it over, picking out a few things we might want.  This time it was dahlia bulbs (two for $1.70) which seemed awfully cheap compared to buying them online from a nursery.  I am sure they are not top 50 which can be quite expensive.  I ended up with only four bulbs and something I seem to buy every spring, a Queen Air Bed With Pump, making sure we are ready for the arrival of families in July.  As a lark, on my way home, I stopped at Walmart and found a large assortment of dahlia bulbs, also at reasonable prices.  I called Evie and we decided we would both go there this morning and pick out a few more for her garden.

2:30 PM
When I got home, Evie had just finished making another favorite soup, an Indian spiced cauliflower and potato soup.  And she had bacon frying so that we could have both soup and BLT's for lunch.  I was a happy husband.  I watched my show, then read some an took another nap, following the advice of Ariana Huffington. I am enjoying my Longmire novel, so it was a good way to spend the rest of the afternoon.

Afternoon Fog Rising
We decided in the morning that wings sounded good and we knew that Steener's Irish Pub had wing night on Wednesdays.  So we drove over to Greenhurst at 6:00, stood around the bar drinking a beer for about 10 minutes before we found two seats at the bar.  The bar and restaurant were both crowded, wing night right.  We settled on smoked wings, then flash fried, then grilled with a sweet barbecue sauce.  They were great, no grease like they had been fire grilled.  We ordered a double, too much, but I  will have the leftovers for lunch. And Evie's was extremely happy because they have hand-cut fries, the best around.  We sat at the bar talking with Bill Steener, the owner, a proud hockey parent because his son's team won the State Championship.  We were home just after 8:00, in time to watch Vice News, Colbert, and another episode of our Norwegian political thriller OCCUPIED.  By 11:00, I was upstairs, happy in our bed, reading my Longmire book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...