Friday, April 17, 2015

Drizzle and Fog


7:44
8:15
It was 6:45 when I got up to a increasingly foggy lake, 52º out, a light drizzle.  The last few days of sun almost made me forget that Chautauqua gray is the predominate winter/spring color. Still, there's a beauty in it, the daguerreotype quality of the morning, like something out of Matthew Brady's Civil War photograph.  Just saw two geese skid to a water stop in front of our house, water splashing in the air.
Red Breasted Merganser
We woke up to a sunny morning yesterday, which gave way to clouds and intermittent rain in the afternoon, keeping us inside most of the day.  I did make it to yoga, however, mentioned to my group that I had read book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up because we were talking about how neat our class was.  Well, I may softened their image of me as just an 'old jock,' as they were all interested in the book, a number writing down the title so they could get it.  And best of all, Danielle complimented me on the progress I have been making with my ham strings, something only a yoga student would understand.  I feel like a little boy back in kindergarten, with my teacher telling me "what a  good boy I am."
Common Mergansers
Our project, or I should say Evie's project with my help, was to tackle our attic, which became the resting place for everything we needed to move when we painted the bedrooms last week.  Needless to say, we could hardly get into it as it was such a mess.  But, we made some progress, the key, moving another extra mattress that we need for the summer when our grandchildren arrive.  Once we figured out where to put it, we began to make some progress, and by 2:00 Evie was downstairs, having organized and packed all the toys our grandchildren played with over the years, too sentimental to throw out or give away.  And, she brought down all the dolls and doll accessories which the our granddaughters loved, sorting the usable from the worn out, packing them in boxes, ready for visitors.
A Raft of Buffleheads and Ducks
6:55 PM
It rained off and on, as I mentioned, so after making some progress with the attic,  we relaxed with blue cheese, crackers and some wine, enjoying dusk, the rain, the beauty of a gray sky, raindrops on the windows, the ever changing color and texture of the lake.  It was a night for an easy dinner, heating up Tuesday's barbecued chicken with noodles, and making a salad.  Nothing like leftovers,  I always say.  And we watched the penultimate episode of The Americans, which has become our favorite TV series.  We can hardly wait to see how this season ends because there are so many loose ends.  And we watched another episode of Rita, a good one, as she takes the side of the "bad boy" the delinquent who everyone wants thrown out of school.   Because she is an outsider, she always tends to sympathize with the underdog, those who are bullied.   And  I am just about to  finish Richard Price's THE WHITES, and I don't think it's going to end well.  As I finish this, it's 8:55 and I cannot see beyond the trees because of the heavy fog.
An Example Of Biff's Rock Art

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...