Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Rosy Colored Dawn (Thanks, Homer)

6:40
6:42
Here is yesterday's poem from The Writer's Almanac...I really liked its message, love of difference, awe of the natural world.


Looking for the Differences 

I am struck by the otherness of things rather than their same-
ness. The way a tiny pile of snow perches in the crook of a
branch in the tall pine, away by itself, high enough not to be
noticed by people, out of reach of stray dogs. It leans against
the scaly pine bark, busy at some existence that does not
need me.
It is the differences of objects that I love, that lift me toward
the rest of the universe, that amaze me. That each thing on
earth has its own soul, its own life, that each tree, each clod is
filled with the mud of its own star. I watch where I step and see
that the fallen leaf, old broken grass, an icy stone are placed in
exactly the right spot on the earth, carefully, royalty in their
own country.

Anyways, I was up early, 6:15, a lovely cloudless morning, a delicate rose sky, now turning a deep orange, as the tip of the sun has just peaked over the shoreline at 6:40.  I am always amazed at how quickly the sunrise moves north. This morning, it rose just above the tip of Long Point State Park. This is as perfect a morning as I can remember unless you like rain and snow.

Most of yesterday morning was wet, on and off drizzle, and cloudy so it was easy to leave the house and drive to another good yoga class, love that legs up against the wall.  Afterwards, I drove to the local Salvation Army and dropped off lots of goodies, mostly clothes but also a sewing machine, a portable crib, good things for people who might need them.  We both wish we could give this stuff to local people who might really need it, but we don't know how go about that so the Salvation Army is easier.  I stopped at Sam's Club for gas, amazingly cheap, $2. 52 compared to the price of almost four dollars a couple of years ago.  Gas is the only thing that I can remember that has gone down in price over the past couple of years.  

When I got home, Evie had made more headway in the attic, and there was more stuff for the Transfer Station this morning, more for the Salvation Army the next time I go.  About 12:30, Evie had it and made an amazing lunch for the both of us, potato pancakes made from leftover mashed potatoes, bacon, fried eggs and toast.  I was in luncheon heaven, as we watched a couple of  The Daily Shows.  

The rest of the afternoon we took it easy, finally, Evie sitting outside in the sun on a chaise lounge, reading the sequel to THE UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY, one of her favorites, titled, THE LOVE SONG OF MISS QUEENIE HENNESSY.  I finished THE WHITES, took a short nap, then had to decide between a kayak paddle or cleaning up the yard, cutting down the grasses, taking leaves and twigs up the hill.  I chose to do the yard work...idiot!
Outdoor Porch Weather
Ron and Linda stopped over at 6:00 because we were going for a fish fry at the Seezurh House.  So, we took the covers off our porch furniture, swept and cleaned it, and the four of us sat outside on the porch with a beer and appetizers for the first time since last October.  It was a balmy Spring afternoon, so it was enjoyable, watching the lake shimmer, change colors.  The Seezurh was packed, as was the porch, which was good to see, the out of towners have returned.  We are used to being the only patrons in the restaurant during the winter.  We were lucky to get a table in the bar, a good waitress and we had great fish fries, Ron's so large that it hung over his plate.  Evie and I ran into our good friends, Jane and Jerry Grice, and Jane's brother, Buzz was in town.  We had a good time, love being in a restaurant that's filled with happy people, reminds me of Turkish restaurants, which are always noisy, no quiet, funeral like restaurants there.

We got home int time to watch one more episode of American Crime before going to bed and I started a new thriller, right up my alley,  called DAWN PATROL, about a surfer who is also a private detective.  Love it.  These guys get up at dawn each day to surf before leaving for their jobs, which is just what I used to do in Hawaii, paddling out in the dark water of Ala Moana before the sun rose, just to get a few waves to myself.  

Ah, nostalgia.  


Surfer Dude, 1968, Makaha Beach, Hawaii

Surfing Makaha....Believe It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...