Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gentle Snow Flakes On A Wednesday Morning

7:30
Rhododendrons Early Morning


Kinney's Run

Solitary Fishing Hut

Snowless Woodlawn/Victoria Woods
It was 6:20 when I arose, but now it's 7:30, the sun about to rise some where off to the east, and there's a soft barrage of snow flakes filling the sky, obscuring the other side of the lake, so that I cannot make out Long Point.  It's 28ยบ outside, as it's going to get colder and tonight we may have two or three inches of snow.  How fickle the weather tends to be this time of year.

Yoga yesterday morning began the day, a class similar to the one on Monday, same teacher, different students.  I was even complimented on how much better my poses were on Tuesday.  Wow.  Evie worked out as well.  As we left to work out, Evie realized she had left her Itouch at the YMCA.  Fortunately, some one had turned it in at the desk a relief, sort of, because she needs it to work out but a new one might have been even better.

We did some shopping at Wegman's, found pearl sugar, something I had read about, an ingredient important to Belgian waffles.  I cannot wait to try some.  We also stopped at Sam's, picked up one of their pizzas, cheap and good, so we are ready foodwise for the week (it never happens).  The afternoon was leisurely, no dinner to prepare other than make a salad and put a pizza in the oven.  I did take a long walk, partly on the ice, where the edges are beginning to melt but the ice still seems firm.  I also walked up through the Woodlawn/Victoria woods, which were practically bare of any snow.  The paths as well as most of the woods were brown, with wet, matted leaves, so different from our snow shoeing through these same woods last Friday morning.

We could not find much to watch on TV, surprise, and our movie, EDTV, would not load for some reason.  I just hope it's the disk, not the player.  I did finish my book DEFENDING JACOB, and I found it compelling and readable and scary.

It's still snowing some, the lake filled with flakes, at 8:00... a lovely way to start the morning.

I liked today's poem from The Writer's Almanac enough to include it below. Although I am not fifty, in fact, almost seventy, it still speaks to me, the images are lovely and remind me of life here during the winter months.


Twilight Comes

by Hayden Carruth
            After Wang Wei

Twilight comes to the little farm
At winter's end. The snowbanks
High as the eaves, which melted
And became pitted during the day,
Are freezing again, and crunch
Under the dog's foot. The mountains
From their place behind our shoulders
Lean close a moment, as if for a
Final inspection, but with kindness,
A benediction as the darkness
Falls. It is my fiftieth year. Stars
Come out, one by one with a softer
Brightness, like the first flowers
Of spring. I hear the brook stirring,
Trying its music beneath the ice.
I hear - almost, I am not certain -
Remote tinklings; perhaps sheepbells
On the green side of a juniper hill
Or wineglasses on a summer night.
But no. My wife is at her work,
There behind yellow windows. Supper
Will be soon. I crunch the icy snow
And tilt my head to study the last

Silvery light of the western sky
In the pine boughs. I smile. Then
I smile again, just because I can.
I am not an old man. Not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...