Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Light Snow Welcomes Tuesday Morning

Cross Country Skiing in Dobbins Woods
Ellery Farm, Above Lakeside Drive

Snow at 8:00


Up at 7:00 and surprise, it's snowing, just enough to cover my car.  It was warm enough yesterday so some of the snow had begun to melt.  Right now it's 30ยบ out, so I assume this snow will melt by afternoon.  One lonely fisherman is out in the middle of the lake.  These guys don't give up.

Tuesday's yoga was cancelled again; it's becoming a habit for this guy.  I really wanted a class, too.  C'est la vie.  We decided to drive to Dobbins Woods, to see what the snow base was like and if I could cross country ski.  Fortunately, it was good, so I skied and Evie snow shooed for an hour, through the lovely woods.  Little snow on the trees, but it was  fun to be in the woods, in the crisp air, see all the tracks of various animals, and the sun even came out for a time to make it even beautiful.  After skiing, we usually walk up to Butts Road and back, just to stretch our legs and to get in another fifteen minutes of exercise.  No traffic, just us on the road, a good place for a summer walk.

At noon, I drove in to Erie, taking my Honda Pilot to Bianchi Honda,  getting it ready for our trip west to KC next week.  When I arrived, it was like traffic jam at the dealer.  So many cars, so many people getting their cars worked on.  I had hoped they would go over the car, making sure everything was ship shape.  They did come up with the need for new rear break pads and rotors, for $465 plus taxes.  I came home, called the defunct Honda dealer in Jamestown, who still works on Hondas.  They will do it for $280.00.  Go figure that one.
What's Left of Evie's Lemon Meringue Pie

When I got home, Evie's Diner was back in action.  She was almost finished with the pie crust for a lemon meringue pie.  Wow...I was excited, my favorite pie.  And both the crust (using Crisco) and the pie, even the meringue turned out perfect.  Evie's going to give Portage Pie competition.  A lemon meringue pie from Portage Pie is seventeen bucks.

We had an easy dinner, hot dogs, beans and a salad, with Stadium Mustard, from Cleveland.  We watched another episode of The Killing and are beginning to like it more and more, and some of The Voice, much better than American Idol, we think.  And I am into Rohinton Mintry's novel Family Matters, set in India in the 1990's, told from the point of view of a failing seventy seven year old grandfather with Parkinson's disease.  I really am into it; in fact, I dreamed about it last night, about how his children ignore and are often appalled by his failing physical and mental skills.  Sad but understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...