Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Brighter Shade of Gray Morning

Working out at Wegman's 

Man, Dog, Child, Fish

Winter Grasses

7:10
Up later, 7:00, and it felt good to sleep in some.  It's much lighter outside, the sky mirroring the whiteness of the lake though the sun remains hidden behind clouds.  It made me think that it has been quite a while since I witnessed an actual sunrise, one where the sun was visible over the horizon as it rose.  I will have to look back at my blog.  The thought also struck me that I have had enough of cloudy, over cast days, and thought about how amazing it is when we have a sunny day, with blue skies and lake.  Later today, perhaps,

Yesterday, as Evie put it, was a bust.  We went downtown, to Jamestown, for a blood test, hoping to then drive to the Audubon Sanctuary and cross country ski.  I looked at their website and they mentioned the trails were closed because of water but this was late February.  So we called them after the visit to the Clinic and they basically said the trails were icy, not good for skiing or snow shoes.  And, as we walked outside. it was a dirty gray, not as inviting as we had thought early in the morning.  And by the time we were ready to go, it was after 11:00 and I had lost my mojo.  I like going earlier on hikes.  So, instead of hiking, we went to Wegman's, always a good choice and came home, hoping to  to walk later in the day.

Well, we didn't, as the day waned, we both got lazier, the morning energy had dissipated, so we vowed to make up for our missing a workout or hike by doing more today.  We will see as I am already feeling lazy, wondering if I should go to yoga or not.  The mind is a fickle thing.

For dinner, we had a dish from the Mackie's, a college friend of my brother in law, Rich Holzheimer.  It's simple but one of their families favorites.  You cut up into chunks five or six potatoes and put them in the bottom of a pan.  Cover them with three or four onions, also in chunks.  Then, cut into bite size pieces about a half pound of Italian sausages per person, scatter on top of the potatoes and onions, cover with tin foil, and place in a 400 degree oven for an hour.  Take the foil off, and bake for another twenty minutes and viola, you have an easy dinner.  We have just enough left for a lunch.  No raspberry pie for dessert but we bought Spanish peanuts at Wegman's so I had a tin roof instead.  Tough life.  We finished the last episode of Revenge, a trashy often ridiculous soap opera like TV show that I quietly like (don't tell any one).

We are contemplating driving to Allegheny State Park this morning to snow shoe and cross country ski.  We will have to see how firm our resolve is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...