Friday, November 4, 2022

Home Alone

6:58

7:32

7:33

Well, it's another brilliant morning of blazing sunshine, the reflection on the lake blinding. I kayaked for close to an hour but basically chased Canadian geese, no eagles or herons, alas. Still, it was a beautiful morning on the lake except for the duck hunters whose shotguns sounded like cannons. 

Kayak Morning

Looking North Towards Woodlawn

Yesterday was a different sort of day, starting with an early waking, then an hour and a half drive to the Buffalo Airport. Evie was flying to Phoenix for six days, meeting with her sisters. Flying is not her favorite way to travel but she seemed fairly copacetic. What do you think? 


Anyways, she seemed to enjoy it because of a couple of fellow passengers. At least the flights were on time and she seemed cool and could smile.

Loving it?

While she was in the air, I was on my way to Devil's Hole State Park, on the Niagara River. What should have been a forty-five-minute drive ended up being an hour and fifteen minutes because I forgot to check highways on my Apple app, So I ended up driving through every neighborhood in Buffalo until I reached the park. Actually, it was fun and enlightening as the neighborhoods were all well taken care of and many of them reminded me of bungalows in Euclid where I grew up.

Finally

Gorge Trail

Niagara River

Whirlpool Bridge

About eight or nine years ago, I took this same bike ride, on a trail along the Niagara River all the way to American Falls. It's about five miles one way, at times only a few bushes separate the trail from a two-hundred-foot cliff. Needless to say, I was a bit uncomfortable getting so close so, at times, I left the trail and took another biking path, farther from the Niagara Gorge. 

The Falls

Rapids

Looking Towards Canada

Niagara River

I rode around the Niagara Falls State Park, then out to Goat Island and back, seemingly the only tourist on a bike. I relaxed at the Falls and had my lunch, a peanut butter, and jelly sandwich, and Fritos (thanks to Evie). I then biked back to Devil's Hole State Park, passing a few hikers, but no bikers. 

Beer Time

I then headed home, via highways, across the Grand Island Bridges, to Interstate 90, stopping at Exit 58 to get cheap gas at the Seneca Nation gas station, then browsed at a great country western store, almost buying a pair of waterproof shoes but 12's were too small, 13's too big, the story of my life. I then stopped in Fredonia, at the Tuscany Market but again, I walked out empty-handed.  On my way home, we always said let's stop and get a beer at the Stockton Hotel but never did it. Well, I did it and had a beer with two guys and a very talkative gal behind the bar. 

Evie And Her Sisters, Jean and Claire, Gilbert, Arizona

I didn't get home until after 4:00 but happy with the way my day went. I relaxed on the couch, napped briefly, and read my book until dinner time at 7:00 when I heated up a wedge of moussaka and a roll. It hit the spot. I decided to rewatch the Swedish version of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo for some reason and it was a good way to while away time before bed. I also watched a bit of NFL football and read some in bed, It was an interesting day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...