Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Taking It Easy

8:02

Another white morning, as a couple of inches of snow fell overnight and a few ice fishing huts are out on a 18º morning. I was up at 6:00, happy to come downstairs in the dark and make the coffee.  I have had Morning Joe on but it's more background noise than news.  

Yesterday was a different Monday for us, mostly because it started with my visit to the dentist for a teeth cleaning at 9:00. After the dentist, I did a shopping at Wegman's and stopped to get a car wash so that basically took up a good part of the morning.  The grocery store was not crowded which was nice and I double-masked which is easy enough to do  When I got home, Evie was relaxing and like me, did not feel like doing much.  I think we needed a day off from skiing because neither of us was anxious to get out on the lake despite it being a nice day.  

I, fortunately, bought a sub at Wegman's, making for an easy lunch along with the black bean soup I made on Saturday. I watched my show, Bang, and then started a new book, Cherry, recommended by our local book store. I was surprised to find that much of the early part of the novel is set in Cleveland so that many of the streets and areas were familiar to me.  I was not sure I would like it but I am into it now.  It's the story of a lost teen who flunks out of college, gets involved in drugs, does not know what to do with his life, and ends up in Iraq. 

We were so lazy that at 4:00, I drove off to the Lighthouse and picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner because we did not want to cook.  Once I was back, we were happy to relax for an extended happy hour and listen to all the hullabaloo about the coming Impeachment.  Dinner was the chicken, baked potatoes, and salad. We watched a Colbert, a few minutes of SNL but then an interesting movie on Netflix called The Dig. The film is based on a 2007 John Preston novel that reimagines the discovery of Sutton Hoo in Suffolk, England, in 1939, just a WW II begins.  Ralph Fiennes, best known for playing the Commandant in Schindler's List, is wonderful as the amateur archaeologist Basil Brown who discovers the dig but never gets recognition for his efforts until recently, because of Preston's novel and now the film.  It was a happy ending to an unusual day. 

Ralph Fiennes And Carey Mulligan In 'The Dig'





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...