Thursday, December 10, 2020

A Calm Lake, A Cloudy Sky

7:10

8:35

It's 8:35, Evie's still sleeping, and I paddled for forty-five minutes on a deliciously smooth lake, down to Wells Bay and back, scaring off mallards as I floated by.  It's 36º and the sun has peaked out through the clouds on and off as I was out on the water.  


Morning Sky

New Lake Wall

Wednesday was a classic Chautauqua Gray day, not a hint of sun, overcast and gray, with occasional light rain or sleet.  It was a good day to stay inside and we did until late afternoon.  After the blog and breakfast, Evie got busy in the kitchen, putting together a turkey soup while I practiced Yoga with Adrienne for forty-five minutes.  Since I did not kayak, I wanted to make sure to get some exercise. 

For some reason, even though neither one of us did much, the morning flew by and before we knew it, Evie was making my lunch, a toasted cheese sandwich, and turkey soup.  I am a lucky boy to have a homemade soup for lunch most days. I watched my show, then fell asleep reading my book, Troubled Blood. I finally got sick of it and set it aside, not caring who done it.  And I started the new Jack Reacher, formulaic but better than Troubled Blood, a book that seemed to never end.  While I was napping and reading, the 'little woman' was busy in the kitchen, peeling apples, slicing them up, making a pie crust and baked an apple pie for our dessert.

Around 4:00, we both wanted to get outside and do something so we drove to Mayville and walked Webb's Trail, hoping it might snow.  We walked for close to an hour, on a snowy path with occasional bare patches.  Fortunately, it was not icy so we could enjoy it.  We stopped on the way home to pick up some Peameal Bacon at the Lighthouse but they were out of it so we bought some breakfast sausage instead.  



A Melting Trail

We were home in time for wine time at 5:00 and we sat in the living room, listening to the radio as Evie worked on writing some Christmas cards on her Felt app. We were hungry by 6:00 and we were having a big breakfast for dinner, breakfast sausages, potato pancakes, and eggs. We loved it of course and watched a Colbert.  We then tried a new series on Netflix from Turkey called Ethos and stuck with it through two episodes before having enough of its drama.  We ended the night with The Great English Baking Shows Christmas, something to fill the time before bed.  

This poem made me laugh a year ago and again today: Enjoy

Saturday night
by John Kenney
I have heard
that there are people
who go out
at night.
Weeknights.
Weekends.
They go to
restaurants.
They go to shows.
Sometimes both
in the same evening.
And no, I do not know how they do this.
They do not change
into some form of pajama-wear by 7 P.M.
and watch half of a movie they've likely already seen
only to begin convulsively yawning by 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...