Sunday, June 16, 2019

Rain, Bass Boats, And Herons

6:04

A Frog In Lotus Pose (a perfect father's day gift from my wife)
It's been raining since I got up at 6:00 to the sounds of bass boats racing out of the Long Point Marina.  It's now 7:00, 63ยบ, as I sit out on our front porch, as three or four herons have flown by, occasionally dropping into the water to catch a fish.  It looks like we may be in for a day of rain and gray skies. So far, we have gotten an inch and a half of rain since last night.  Just a moment ago, a hummingbird flew on to our porch, hovered four feet from me, then took off.  I also have heard the cry of a loon, unusual for this time of the year.  I picked the perfect time for an hour paddle as it stopped raining just as I went out.  

Kayak Morning

Great Blue Heron

A Pose Of Dignity
Saturday was a different day, especially in the afternoon.  The day started well with a long paddle to Tom's point under a partly cloudy sky.   Afterward, I gathered the trash and took it to the Transfer Station which had a new crew of guys.  Strange.  I then drove to Linda and Ron's, to see the damage to their trees from a storm ten days ago. They lost two huge maples, unfortunately.  When I returned home, Evie was weeding, a result of so much rain over the past week or two.  We were in the mood to move plants, so I made space for a new plant by scraping off the surface grass and getting the area ready. I then dug up a Goat's Beard plant from the north side of the house and planted next to the hostas.  A few hours later we realized it did not fit so we will be moving it once again, once the rain stops.  

Evie wanted to get the lawn cut because she knew it was going to rain much of the afternoon.  So while she mowed,  I made my lunch by frying up some leftover linguini and plopping a couple of eggs on top for lunch.  I watched another Bosch, read some, then took a brief nap.  When I woke up, Evie had finished with the lawn and working outside, as the sky began to cloud up and a light rain began to fall.  And that was it for our work outside.  We spent the late afternoon, then, watching some of the US Open, the news, and reading until cocktail hour.  

Around 5:00, Evie began to prep our dinner, lamb curry and by 5:30, we ended up on our front porch, despite the rain, with a Manhattan, cheese, and crackers, our typical Saturday night at the lake.  It was great to be on the porch, a bit cool, but with a fleece we were fine.  Our curry was great and took us back to our Istanbul days because this curry, with bananas, apples, and cream, was a go-to recipe in Turkey, from one of our favorite cookbooks, Craig Claiborne's International Cookbook.  All our new recipes came from either that book, Evie's Bible, The Joy Of Cooking, or An American Cook in Turkey.  We watched Real Time with Bill Maher, not his best show, then some Colbert and bits and pieces of other shows until it was time to head up to bed, to read some before falling asleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...