Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Foggy And Overcast

6:35

7:01
It's  6:25 and I am on the front porch watching the sun valiantly try to burn through the cloud cover, 
the lake is surprisingly calm and empty, not a boat in sight.  I am listening to another Bill Simmons podcast on the NBA draft, a fine antidote to the trump news.  It's 7:00 and I am ready for a paddle just as the fog has risen, obscuring a good part of the eastern shoreline.  It's 8:30 as I finish my blog and I just returned from a paddle in the fog.  For a few minutes, when I was in the middle of the lake, fog-bound, I felt a bit of discomfort, lost in gray,  but then I spotted a dock and relaxed.  

Kayak Morning

Kayaking Into The Reeds And Fog
Yesterday started out overcast, with a light drizzle but by noon the sun began to come out and it was a particularly fine late Spring afternoon.  What a surprise.  I started the morning with a raincoat on and a long paddle since I was on the lake by 7:15.  I left for yoga at 9:00, a fun class and at the end, a few people clapped in appreciation.  Julie loved it I am sure.  It was Tuesday, the discount shopping day at Wegman's so I joined the crowd, wending my way through aisles, crowded with retirees like me.  I am always in a hurry, no browsing, so I am becoming apt at navigating between stopped shopping carts. 

When I returned home, Evie had been prepping a few things for tonight's dinner when we are having friends over.  The kitchen, as usual, looked used so I pitched in and did the dishes.  Evie made me quesadillas with rice, corn, and guacamole and finished up my Bosch series so I will be looking for something else to watch at lunch.  Because the sun came out, a rarity these days, Evie was determined to enjoy the dock and sun so she spent much of the afternoon reading on the dock.  I joined her briefly after a nap but soon got bored with it and came in to read.  For some reason, I lacked any mojo yesterday so I mostly just wasted the day, couching it, reading some.  I also started a new book, Owen Steinhauser's THE MIDDLEMAN, about a group survivalists who attempt to terrorize the elite and change the trajectory of what they see as a system that ignores the masses, favors the wealthy.

Both of us were waiting for 5:00, so we could have a glass of wine or a beer on our front porch and enjoy the beauty of a late afternoon, with blue skies and lake and puffy clouds.  Evie had earlier put together portabellos stuffed with garlic spinach, tomatoes and cheese.  She also had some potatoes roasting while we enjoyed our wine.  So dinner was healthy supposedly, vegetarian, mushrooms, salad and potatoes were good.  We watched a Colbert, a snippet of the Trump circus, just to raise our blood pressure,  and THE YELLOW HANDKERCHIEF, a movie from 2008 with William Hurt, Eddie Redmayne, and Kristen Stewart.  Three strangers take a road trip through Louisana and end up bonding despite their differences.  I liked it more than Evie although I will admit it was slow getting into it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...