Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Dazzling White Of A Chautauqua Morning


8:44
8:00

7:44
It's 8:10, the sun finally rose above this morning's cloud bank on another very cold morning, 13º, yet there's literally a community of fishing huts off of Long Point, taking advantage of a weekend and a respite from the wind.  I don't envy them.  When I went out on the front porch to take a morning photograph, I was greeted by the sounds of gas operated augers, drilling holes in the lake, no doubt a harbinger of the obnoxious sounds of spring, summer, and fall leaf blowers.

Black And Blue On A Canvas Of  White
Yesterday was another windy and cold day; it never rose above the teens.  Thus, we hunkered down in our layered clothes, enjoying the warmth of a cosy house.  We hardly realized it was a Friday to be honest, one of the small problems of retirement.  I did make myself go to yoga, felt righteous about it when I got home.  It's nice to be able to fool yourself into thinking you have self discipline because you went to a yoga class.

When I got home, Evie, too, was tempted to head to the gym but her sciatica was bothering her, so her better angels took over and she stayed home.  I was going to have doctored up ramen for lunch but realized I had a slab of Monday night's baked ziti leftover so that was my lunch.  I continue to have mixed emotions about Bloodline but like it enough to keep watching.  Danny continues to be a  'very bad boy.'  Just before I took my nap, Evie was debating what kind of sweet to bake, cookies, cake, brownies?  I woke to the aroma of chocolate chip cookies, went downstairs and I was correct.  She was making chocolate chips cookies with dried cherries and pecans.  I quickly got busy cleaning up the mess of cookie making, so that I could have a couple when they cooled enough to eat.


Wind And Blowing Snow In The Afternoon
We prepped dinner after the cookies and dishwashing.  I washed up some red potatoes, ready to bake and Evie pounded out slices of pork tenderloin, then dipped them in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs. leaving them to rest and dry until she fried them.  We were ready for a glass of wine when Evie ended up talking with our son, Tommy, then Evie's good friend Vi who lives in Ohio.  Those calls shortened our wine time but that was fine as we were in no hurry to have dinner.  Around 6:30, Evie made a salad, fried the wiener schnitzel, and pulled the red potatoes out of the oven.  I set the table, a fork, knife, and napkin, poured some more wine, and brought the plated dinner to the tables, a big help!  Once again, we wanted to avoid the news, the memo that unfairly lambasts the FBI, a stark political act to drown out the Mueller investigation.  It's enough to make you distrust your politicians (duh).  We turned to the second season of Safe House on Starz, a story completely different from the previous season.  The only thing that was the same was the inclusion of another safe house.  We must have liked it because we once again binge watched the four episode series, finishing just after 10:00.  And it was then time for me to get back to Jack Taylor and his bouts with alcohol and other kinds of drugs.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...