Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Spring For A Day


7:05

7:06
7:18
7:39
A mild morning, with lots of clouds and sunshine, as the lake continues to melt.  It's 62º at 7:45, may get up into the 70's like yesterday, then drop to the 20's overnight, ah fickle Chautauqua weather. We may even get some snow tomorrow.  It's now 9:00, the temperature has dropped 7º since I got up and a band of fog has almost obscured Long Point and Bemus Bay.

9:00

Creeping Fog
Yesterday was 'spring like', with temperatures reaching 70º in some of the surrounding towns.  When I drove into Lakewood, in my Honda which started right up when I pulled it out of the garage.  It seemed as if everyone was feeling the change as lots of people were out walking, jogging, even biking, taking advantage of the balmy day.  I stopped at Ryder's for a coffee, talked with Dave, a regular, before doing some shopping for dinner at Wegman's, the key, picking up their meatloaf mix of beef/pork/veal.  Despite the fact that it was discount Tuesday, it was not that crowded and I zipped right through the check out line.  The roads are still terrible so I went on the backroads to avoid the potholes.

Lakewood Dave
Evie was working on the photos when I got home and saving them on Google photo for, we hope, posterity.  Lunch was leftover potato/cauliflower soup, a bagel, and some cheese and sausage.  The rest of the afternoon we both wanted to get outside but we are both struggling some with strained backs so we stayed inside, listening to the interminable news, waiting for the 15 minute comedy time of lies and verbal diarrhoea with Sarah Sanders.  The reporters' patience of putting up with not answering their questions is remarkable.  I spent a good part of the afternoon reading after a nap of course and have started a new John Lescroart novel, THE VIG, the second in the Dismas Hardy series.  I like it.

Around 4:30, I walked along the lake of Woodlawn, marvelling at the now green lawns, snow disappearance, and the noisy, hard-charging Woodlawn creek. I talked briefly with our neighbors, Jeff and Nancy, who are contemplating the complete renovation of their older cottage, a difficult choice because the inside will lose some of its old cottage charms.

Evie had put together the meatloaf earlier in the day and scrubbed potatoes and trimmed the Brussel sprouts.  So the meatloaf baked during a nice wine time, and around 6:30, she went in to mash the potatoes and cook the Brussel sprouts.  Dinner was a throwback to the good old days and Mom's meatloaf dinner, with gravy and mashed potatoes.  I have come to love Brussel sprouts, probably my favorite vegetable yet when I was young, I disliked them.  I guess I have grown up.  We watched the second episode of Homeland, confusing as we are not sure who Claire Danes is working for.  And we ended the night watching the skate dancing.  All three of the medalists were outstanding but we were awed by the eventually Gold Medal winners, the Canadians.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...