Monday, February 26, 2018

A Morning Of Sunshine



6:18

6:55

7:11

7:12
It's 7:20 and the sun just rose above a cloud cover to brighten the morning turn the gray lake to blue, matching the sky above.  It's 30º and it felt good to walk outside, the crisp morning air, sunshine, chirping of birds, the tapping of a woodpecker. 

Yesterday began with rain pelting our windows, a forecast of heavy wind much of the day, up to 60 miles an hour.  So we prepared some, for a loss of electricity, making sure we had lots of water (in case our well won't pump water), and we had small camp stoves available. And of course, there was hardly a heavy wind all day as the winds must have been north of us.  We did not do much then in the morning, wondering whether to hit Red's for pancakes but deciding it was too delicious to just stay home.  Around 11:30, however, I decided to get in a walk.  I wanted to hike the Long Point woods but because of the wind advisory, I walked Lakeside Drive instead for almost an hour. It's been awhile since I have made this walk so it's always interesting to see new houses popping up.  I stopped at the Bemus Grocery and picked up a cherry pie (shipped frozen from Maine) and some Clamato juice, as I am beginning to enjoy a Bloody Mary at cocktail time, with horseradish of course.

When I got home, we decided to skip a big breakfast but I wanted something for lunch so I heated up the leftovers from Saturday night's dinner, the Indian spice chicken and rice.  What would we do without leftovers?  Why do some refuse to eat leftovers?  The rest of the afternoon was a typical Sunday or weekday for that matter, watching some TV, reading, napping and waiting for wine time around 5:00.

Winter Vegetables
Dinner was already made Saturday morning by Evie, a tas kebab, Turkish stew, but I wanted to roast some winter vegetables so around 5:15, I peeled and chopped up parsnips, beets, sweet potatoes and turnips.  It was kind of fun, probably because I don't have to do it every day and I had a bloody mary to keep me company.  I spread them on a roasting pan, tossed them with olive oil and salt and pepper, then roasted them at 425º for around 35 to 40 minutes.  They went well with the tas kebab and eating them, especially the beets and sweet potatoes, was like eating candy.  Yum. 

Dusk
We watched a couple of more episodes of SEVEN SECONDS, not exactly a 'pick me upper', often dark, depressing and realistic, reminding me of American Crime.  We are hooked, however, and have three more episode to go.  We ended the night with Homeland, as Carrie's meds get in the way of whatever she is attempting to do.  It ain't clear.  Saul, however, is in a standoff with alt right Steve Bannon type of figure and it looks like it may end up like Waco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...