Thursday, February 22, 2018

Four Inches Of A Wintry Mix


7:35

9:15
It's awfully gray out at 7:00, with a forecast of snow this morning although so far, it's just a dusting.  It's 33º at the moment, quite a contrast to yesterday's spring like day.  I think this may be the prescription for the next month, as yesterday's temperature was a teaser, today more like winter should be. And the lake has lost its 'wet look' as the surface appears frozen although nobody is out fishing.

Yesterday was a strange day because of the change in temperature.  In the morning, the fog suddenly arose on the lake, a band of moisture that disappeared within an hour.  Evie needed me to pick up a prescription in Mayville, so I made a bit of a journey out of it.  I picked up the prescription, dropped a package off at the Post Office and decided since I was in Mayville, to drive up to Barcelona on Lake Erie to see if the lake was still frozen.  And I wanted to pick up a pie at Portage Pie but it was closed.  The road to Westfield,  however, was literally fog bound as I had to really slow down because visibility was poor.  Once I got down the ridge to Westfield, the fog cleared up.

Barcelona Beach
Barcelona was depressingly gray and wet, with a light rain, so it was not much fun getting out of the car, trudging to the beach to see a lake, a soup of ice and water, not Lake Erie at its most inviting.  I spent about a minute on the beach in the rain before hurrying back to my car.  Chautauqua Creek, which empties into Lake Erie, was a torrent, as full as I have ever seen it. 

Chautauqua Creek Bridge
The drive back to Woodlawn was better as the fog had abated although there were some major potholes to be avoided.  I was tempted to stop at the Lighthouse for a sub but resisted because I knew we had leftover meatloaf at home, much better than a sub.

Crazies Fishing In Mayville
When I got home, Evie was prepping a new chicken recipe, spatchcocking a chicken and marinating it for the afternoon in lemon juice before roasting it.  I decided against a meatloaf sandwich and instead put together a dinner of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy before microwaving it.  I watched another Bloodline and have one episode to go in Season Two.  It's a series with no one to admire but interesting enough to keep watching.  We spent the afternoon listening to the student protests in Florida.  I am modestly optimistic; they may make a difference and force our lawmakers into making some changes.  I read some, thought about a walk, napped and waited for 5:00 so we could start wine time.

We had dinner around 6;30, the chicken basted with coca cola, along with a salad and asparagus for a change.  The chicken was good, not great so I doubt if Evie will make it again.  We watched some Vice News and waited for the Town Hall on CNN in Florida.  It was actually worth watching.  The kids, for the most part, asked good questions and put the three politicians on the spot.  Marco Rubio was an embarrassment (at least he showed up) as was Bill Nelson, the Senator, who used the podium to criticize the Governor, who will be his senatorial opponent next November.  These guys not only have no shame either using the format to campaign or repeat their same political talking points but they cannot answer a simple yes or no question with yes or no.  Infuriating.  The irony of all this is that something may be done because if Trump wants background checks and a ban on bump stocks,  the Republicans will support it.  If Obama suggested the same,  there's no way Republicans would have supported it.  I had enough of the Town Hall after the first hour and missed the second half when the NRA representative started to pander and explain why machine guns are necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...