Sunday, March 26, 2017

Lake Thaws...Again


6:52

7:36 

7:44

7:50
It's just after 8:00 and I have been up since 6:45, a partly cloudy morning, with a muted sunrise because of the cloud cover.  It's strange to see the lake ruffled, wavy, instead of a solid, motionless surface of ice.  A few icebergs are still floating or hugging the shore, waiting to melt.  It's 44º and it looks like a spring like week, no big surprises like temperatures in the teens or snow fall.  Maybe, just maybe, spring has sprung.

The Last Of The Ice
Yesterday, a Saturday, beginning of the weekend, was overcast, looking like a rain that never came. The temperatures stayed in the 40's, cold enough to need a fleece.  I waited to take our trash to the Transfer Center until Evie was finished with her new pot of vegetable soup, so I could take all the empty cans of beans and tomatoes with me.  No use leaving them for the next week.  Unlike the previous week when I was the only car in the queue, I was behind six other cars, eager to get rid of their trash.  Once that was done, I drove home and Evie had a Wegman's list ready for me.

She wanted to go to the Y  as well so I dropped her off, then stopped at Ryder's Cup for a coffee, then did my shopping at Wegman's, crowded as usual because it was a Saturday, then picked up Evie an hour later.  She got in a good walk on the treadmill and I had a couple of bags filled with goodies for the week.  We were both happy.

When we got home, Evie's veggie soup had been simmering for a couple of hours, so it was ready to eat.  I got out a can of sardines with Moroccan harrisa sauce, which I ate for lunch on crackers along with a bowl of soup.  Not much else to talk about for the rest of the afternoon.  Neither of us felt like working outside, so we relaxed in the house.  I watched some TV, read, napped, waiting for dinner time.  And Evie spent much of the afternoon browsing phones because she will be getting an iPhone 7 Plus from our son, Tommy.  Needless to say, she is tres excited but cannot make up her mind which color to get and read about the pros and cons on the 7 and 7 plus.  For now, it sounds like she likes black.  And, yes, there are new covers to order, apps. to get so she is really into a new phone in her life.  By the way, I still have a flip phone with no bells, no whistles, a happy luddite...for now.  Do I really need a new device to while away my time?  Perhaps.

We were going out for dinner but were not sure for where.  We narrowed it down to burgers and a beer or Mexican  but settled on the new (to us) restaurant in Lakewood, Craft Burgers and Brew.  It was a loud, bustling and crowded place at 6:15 when we arrived.  Had we not wanted to sit at the bar, we would have had to wait.  We ordered craft beers and watched the basketball game while deciding what to order.  I got the Argentinian burger, with chimichurri sauce and Evie ordered a salad with scallops.  Evie's was great, as she loved the scallops and the house dressing.  My burger was average; I should have stayed with the All American burger.  We stayed for just over an hour, as it was so busy and loud that we found it hard to talk.  At least it was busy and lots of people were enjoying themselves.

Dinner At Craft Burgers & Brew
Evie wanted to shop at Walmart for picture frames, so like most Walmart customers, we spent part of our Saturday night browsing, ending up buying something we had no interest in buying when we went in...a crock pot.  I am sure we will use it but our pantry is so crowded that we have no idea where to store it.

We got home around 8:30 and taped the Kansas/Oregon game then watched another episode of THE FALL.  When it was over, we watched the taped Kansas game (no commercials) which, unfortunately, Kansas lost to Oregon.  So both my son Tom's and my favorite team is out of the tournament.   I would love to see one of the Cinderella teams win it all like Oregon, Gonzaga, or South Carolina, teams that don't recruit the best players each year like Kentucky or North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...