Monday, December 12, 2016

Little Change


7:48

A Stately Morning Trumpeter Swan
It's 7:30 and I can hear Evie getting up.  I was up around 7:00, after another restless night but at least I got some sleep.  And looking out my window this morning, I am amazed to see it's NOT snowing. Wonder where the snow machine went.  The lake is a gun metal gray, with patches of ices, the sky just starting to turn gray from black.  It's going to warm up some from the 20's the past few days to the 30's today.

Junco Slide

Poor Guy, Trying To Keep Warm
I wake up every morning hopeful that things have changed but so far, I don't feel any better.  This is one bitter, tough cold if not worst and my body is not doing much to fight it off, or so it seems.  So yesterday was like the others and I get tired of writing about it.  The only difference, what I watched on TV, lots of football to take my mind off of misery, and I started a new book, THE NIGHT MANAGER, by John LeCarre, the master of spy novels.

More Swans
Bottoms Up...Diving For Weeds
And of course, Evie takes good care of me and tries to cheer me up with good food, that I don't always eat.  I had a soft boiled egg for breakfast on bread, a blast from the past because it's what my Mom used to make me when I was sick.  For lunch, I had matzo ball soup which tasted really good, an easy version of a Jewish chicken soup, the Jews panacea for a cold.  For dinner, she made medallions of chicken thighs, tendered in lemon juice, then lightly braised with mushrooms and white wine.  With a salad and rice, we had a great dinner.

Black Capped Chickadee, Seeking Shelter
And for dessert, Evie made sugar cookies, simple and yummy.  And we spent the evening like our previous two, finishing up the last three episodes of THE CROWN on Netflix.  We really enjoyed it and it was great for keeping me interested, mostly about the first four or five years of Queen Elizabeth's reign, when she was just a young woman, thrust into one of the most powerful positions in the world.

I went to sleep to distant honks of Canadian geese and woke to their distant honks.  And the water fowl and birds at our feeders keep us both entertained all day long, as our photographs show.

Finally, after waiting on the phone for a half hour this morning, Evie was able to make another doctor's appointment for me today, late afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...