Thursday, December 22, 2016

A Christmas Sojourn In Virginia


6:50
I am up at 6:00 lots of darkness, what else, as we are getting ready to head to northern Virginia for Christmas with my daughter Jill and her family. We are in no great hurry to be off this morning, just so we are on the road by 8:00 at the latest.  A light snow is forecast but I don't think it will be a problem.

First Ice Fishermen Of The Year
Yesterday was a day of waiting, for me, but a busy one of Evie.  Since we are going to Virginia, she decided to bring dinner, a baked ziti, after making cutout cookies yesterday afternoon for the girls to decorate.  Then, I mentioned that Hayden loved her vegetable soup, so that was next on the agenda. And, of course, we had some bananas and wouldn't want them to go to waste so she made a banana  cream pie to take for dessert.  Needless to say, she was in the kitchen until late afternoon, getting everything done and packed up for our trip.  And was the dish and pan washer, then dish dryer, skating into the kitchen every hour or so after another dish was done.  That way I could keep up with the mess.  And in between dishes, Evie would disappear upstairs and begin packing for our trip, breaking it up into manageable parts.

Ice Fishing In Bemus Bay
For lunch, it was squash bisque which Evie made a couple of days ago and a cheese sandwich with Wegman's jam.  I think I have had it everyday this week.  I tried to find a movie to watch but ended up watching the Kentucky/North Carolina game I save from Saturday.  One of the Kentucky players scored 47 points so it was a fun game to watch.

Dinner was eggs cooked in a bed or garlic spinach and home fries, using up most of what we had leftover in the refrigerator.  We froze the meatloaf, so we have dinner when we return home next week.

In The Middle
I forgot  to mention that around noon, yesterday, the ice fishermen began to appear on the lake.  I have no idea how thick the ice is but they are still out there at 4:30.  They started out close to shore but by 3:00, a couple of guys were out in the middle of the lake, brave souls or madness.  The lake has only been frozen now for four or five days.

Early in the week, I decided to rejoin Netflix's DVD program so we watched an awfully bad  DVD last night, BAD MOMS.  It was recommended by a couple of friends who obviously have different taste from us.  It's predictable, silly, coarse, and vulgar and not at all funny.  How is that for a recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...