Saturday, September 17, 2016

It's Raining


6:47 
8:00
Sitting on our front porch, listening to the rain hit the roof, muddle the lake, a once common morning experience here at the lake but not lately.  We have had a parched summer, so any precipitation is welcome, even if it ruins the weekend.

Yesterday we continued the prep for our friends who arrive this evening, as Evie made applesauce, soup, a cabbage streudel for tonight's pork tenderloin dinner and, of course, I did a few more windows that we forgot to do yesterday.  Anyways, that took up part of the morning, and I was able to get in some kayaking briefly, to find a buoy we must have lost in a storm.  I found it down the lake, about two hundred yards, sitting in a mass of weeds.  I also went bush whacking in the Victoria/Woodlawn woods, with my neighbor's scythe, a la the grim reaper and beat a path of weeds that blocked much of the path, getting it ready for fall hikes and winter cross country skiing.  It was harder than I thought and I really worked up a sweat.  At least now the trail/path is passable and as we walk it, we will continue to beat it down.

The Grim Weed Whacker
Evie was fortunately through we her prepping by noon, so she was able to get in some good dock time, while I had lunch and watched another episode of Narcos, a series I would recommend if you don't mind lots of violence. Around 3:30, we both were on the dock but decided to end our leisure, so Evie cut the lawn and I worked on weeding our walk way, something we had done a few weeks ago but those weeds never seem to disappear.  We both finished about the same time, around 5:30, and while I showered, Evie invited one of the fishing guys from next store in to see our Sonos radio system because he loved listening to our jazz station which Evie had blasting in our yard the previous early evening.  He's a neat guy, from Cleveland, a jazz musician, and is up here with his buddies, for about the seventh year in a row, as they have their own bass fishing tournament.

I then drove over to Bemus Point while Evie showered, as an acquaintance from yoga, Lauren Mayshark, was having a book signing, Death: An Exploration at the Imagine Cafe and Gift shop.  I got to know him both through yoga and his bartending at Bellini's, in Chautauqua Suites.  There were a few people there when I arrived, sipping wine, enjoying the cheese but I was able to buy his book and talk with him briefly before a number of his friends arrived, so I said congratulations and aloha and went home.

Dinner at Linda And Ron's Home
Evie was ready when I got home, so we drove over to Linda and Ron's for dinner, a nice way to end our day.  We were able to sit out on their front porch for a beer and appetizers, before going in for dinner of chicken and mushrooms, a salad, and noodles, a great dinner, as always.  Ron was able to take us around their almost newly purchased house and explain their renovation plans and it will be really cool by the time the builder gets through with it.

A Couple Of Locals
We stayed until about 10:00 and drove home on the now practically empty roads of Chautauqua County, as summer is over here at the lake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...