Wednesday, September 28, 2016

A Crisp, Clear Fall Morning


7:21 
7:23 
I was up just as line of light appeared in the dark early morning, above the horizon.  Slowly, the sky turned pink, then light blue until the sun blasted above the shoreline, filling the lake with its reflection, our living room with its blinding light.  Love it.

Our Trees Are Turning
Yesterday was another easy day for the both of us, no dinner to worry about because we were going out with friends, and not a lot to do other than begin thinking about our Friday get away to Mount Desert Island's Southwest Harbor for a week.  So we both began thinking about what needed to get done before we left, things like cancel the paper, put a hold on the mail, as well as what kinds of clothes, shoes, jackets, etc, we will need for a week of hiking Acadia National Park.  I start by putting things in one bedroom, Evie uses the other.  We do have a list of things to do when we leave the house but also need one for what to bring with us when we travel.  I like to start early in the week, rather than waiting for the last day which seem to be my wife's modus operandi.

Around 10:00, I wanted to get in a walk.  Evie decided to stay home and get some things done so she could enjoy the afternoon outside.  So I drove over to Long Point State Park and walked the woods even though I was not too excited about doing it.  But once I got in the woods, I felt better until I ran into a woman, trying to hold her two snarling dogs back from hassling me, not fun.  On my way home, I drove by my buddy, Ron, who was out walking the Lakeside Drive.  Where are our wives?

I got home after noon, had a lunch of leftover spaghetti squash gratin and a pork schnitzel sandwich. Since I finished with the series NARCOS, I wanted to begin the new season of Longmire.  Fortunately, I decided to watch the final episode from the previous year, which I had of course forgotten about and it ends with Longmire in bed, with his new lover, as a 'bad guy' opens the door. What happens?  I think I will wait to find out until I get home from our vacation in Maine.

The rest of the afternoon was our usual, Evie on the dock, reading  and talking with our neighbor, Joyce, me inside reading, napping, going out on the dock to join Evie, and doing little chores around the house, this time organizing the garage attic for the influx of summer items.  I even pulled down our two snow shovels, knowing I will be needing them soon enough.

Enjoying An Octoberfeest At Brazil's
Our friends picked us up at 6:00 and we drove to Jamestown, to our favorite downtown micro brew, Brazil's and had an Octoberfest beer along with pretzels for snacks.  It was fairly crowded for a Tuesday night which was nice to see.  After our beer, we walked to Taco Hut, the only Mexican joint in the area and ordered a pitcher of Sam Adams Octoberfest along with our various Mexican meals, from a portobello pizza to chicken fajitas.  I have to admit to liking both the food and the run down ambience of this place, with its tributes of Lucille Ball on the walls, one a receipt which she signed back in the day I assume.

Beer Truck (Pivo Is Russian/Slavic word for Beer)
We were home around 9:00 in time to watch most of the Frontline which had a special on the Donald and Hillary, tracing their lives from their beginnings up to the present.  It was great, a must see, and I highly recommend it.  In fact, its being repeated tonight at midnight on our PBS station, so if we wanted, we could save it again.  The early lives of both are really interesting and obviously very different, as Hilary right from the beginning, seems to have a life of service, caring for others while Trump is out to make a name for himself with his buildings.  Both are successful in their own ways.  The photographs of both, especially in their early years, are fun.

Around 10:30, I went upstairs to read my new book, a hot read, The Nix by Nathan Hall, a hefty, 620 page, dazzling debut novel.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...