Sunday, March 13, 2016

Spring Ahead, Winter Behind


Happy To Be Kayaking Among The Ice Floes
7:45
The Jones' Cottage
I got up late, at 7:45, thanks to daylight savings time.  I missed what might have been a sunrise if there weren't a cloud cover.  It's a motionless morning, a glass-like lake of reflections of pines and homes.  It's 39 at the moment, and it looks like rain much of the day, starting late morning.

Water And Ice And Kayak
Yesterday was mostly sunny and surprisingly warm, as long as the wind held off.  I started the day like I usually do, with a Level II yoga class, always a challenge for me.  But I have learned enough at yoga to not push myself, to just 'let it go' if I cannot do something or might injure myself.  So class was rigorous but not daunting.  When I got home, it was time to gather the trash and head to the Transfer Station, always fun.  After returning home, I got out the life jackets the paddles, and we pulled on our boots, and put our kayaks in the lake, for the first time in 2016.  There was lots of floating Ice near the shoreline, so we had to paddle our way through it, to get out to the open parts of the lake.  We went down as far as the reeds, skirting the ice floes near shore but stopped there because it looked like most of Wells Bay was still iced in by a vast ice floe of sorts.  So we paddled back towards the campground, luxuriating in the warm sun, pausing at times to just sit back and sun bathe.  It was thrilling to be back out on the lake.  And we commented on the fact that spring evolves slowly (well, not so much this year!) but the lake opens in a day or two and we are our back out on it, kayaking, as if it was never frozen, we never cross country skied.

Still Some Ice Floes
For lunch, I warmed up Evie's vegetable soup, made myself some egg salad, spread it on a bagel and I was ready for the rest of the afternoon, of occasional basketball tourney watching, some reading and a great nap since I was up so early Saturday morning.  We decided to have our usual special Saturday night, of a cocktail (Manhattans) and a special appetizer.  So I drove up to Reverie Creamery, a three minute drive, waiting for 15 minutes to be served because  it was busy and came home with a sour dough baguette and two blue cheeses.  We had a creamy French St. Augur Blue which was amazing, so good that we went through the entire wedge along with most of the baguette.

St Augur Blue And A Sour Dough Baguette
Twilight Begins
After that, we hardly needed dinner but what a great way to prepare for it, enjoying a Mannie, cheese, a baguette, as lake and sky darkened.  We are so lucky.  Dinner was a bit of a disappointment, as I had sent Evie a recipe for a potato/leek/ham souffle, perfect for our leftover ham.  It turned out to be more like a Shepherd pie, mashed potatoes with ham and cheese.  It did not rise as we expected but it was tasty, just not what we expected.

A "Souffle" Of Leeks/Potatoes/Ham/Cheese
We then watched some more about the politics of the day, mostly shots of Trump protesters.  He seems to get all the press, good or bad I am not sure.  And we watched another episode of HOUSE OF CARDS, as the Presidential election gets closer and closer and Francis and Claire are still 15 points behind.  Somehow I feel they may overcome it and ultimately win, so we will get another season of their machinations before their ultimate and destined fall from grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...