Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Still Frozen Lake, A Partly Cloudy Sky, And 48º


6:44
6:57
7:53
I was up at 6:30, wondering if the lake in front of our house was open.  Not yet though a few of what look to be pools of water dot the lake.  Lakewood is mostly open water now and I assume Mayville and Chautauqua are still frozen like Woodlawn.  With temperatures in the 60's the next couple of days, I expect the ice to begin breaking up and kayak season will open.

Ready for Spring? Summer?
Crows Skating  On Thin Ice
Yesterday was one of the days where you are not sure whether to embrace it or not.  After all, it's still winter but the temperature in the afternoon hit 66º, very unseasonal.  And it should continue for the rest of the week, changing the natural world here at the lake, quickly, like green beginning to appear, the lake melting, the increase in birds singing, not that I am complaining but...it's still winter!

I resumed yoga yesterday morning and it went well, despite my sore knee, as I was careful not to put much stress on it.  And class felt good, as did my knee when it was over.  Class was crowded, lots of ladies and me, as everyone seemed to want to get out of the house on such a warm and sunny morning.  I went straight home, no stopping for coffee or groceries.  And I quickly changed clothes and went outside to clean up our yard in a tee shirt and filled a garbage can, with branches and twigs from our two huge maples in the front yard and the willow in our back yard.  It felt good to be out doing some yard work, cleaning up deadfall.

Yard Guy
By the time I was done, it was lunch time, which was easy, a leftover half of the sub sandwich from the Lighthouse Grocery.  And for the third time, I started a HBO series called DEADWOOD, much admired by the critics but I am still having trouble sticking with it.  I then took a brief nap, as Evie went off to the Y.  And I finished Colm Toibin's BROOKLYN, the story of a young girl who leaves Ireland for Brooklyn, returns home, and is torn between two very different lives, one of which she must choose.  I was not enamored with it, perhaps because I had seen the trailer for the movie and had an idea as to what the book was about.

Late Winter Woods
Around 4:00, I made myself go out for a walk, along the shoreline to Victoria, then up to the Victoria woods.  I talked briefly with John Johnston, who mentioned his 96 year old neighbor, Leo, had died over the weekend.  How sad.  And I ran into a neighbor who lives up on #394, Cindy, who was walking three immaculate Pomeranians.  As a result, I was out over an hour and when I got home, Evie was back, putting together our dinner of chicken enchiladas.  They are one of my favorite Mexican foods, especially when covered, as they were last night, with sliced radishes, lettuce, avocados, salsa, and sour cream.  How could anyone not enjoy them.  We watched the latest episode of BILLIONS, then a couple more episodes of HOUSE OF CARDS, none of which thrilled us.  Both seemed to lose their direction, to be filling time, not sure where to go.  And so it goes.  I would assume this is the last season of HOUSE OF CARDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...