Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Lake, Smooth With Crusty Edges


6:40

6:41
6:47
6:53
I was up at 6:30, to a pink horizon, a partly cloudy sky off to the east and, unfortunately, the smell of a skunk as I walked outside to take a photograph, an unwelcome sign of spring.  It's a warm 50º already, getting into the 60's or higher later.  Today's paper has a headline of a rescue of a fisherman off of the Bell Tower at the Chautauqua Institution.  When the firemen arrived, one guy was in the water, the other on the ice, unable to get in.  This seems to happen at least a couple of times a year.

Yesterday was uncomfortably warm but we both took advantage of it.  I went to a yoga, to a class of interesting and difficult asanas (postures), with lots of props, a not so new thing in Iyengar yoga.  It seemed wrong to be in a yoga studio especially when I walked outside to the sun and warm air.  I stopped at the library, briefly, looking for a book, then headed home.  I thought about doing something in the yard but could think of nothing that needed to be done, that couldn't be put off to another day.  So I had lunch, leftover eggplant and pasta from our dinner at Rocco's on Saturday night.  And I watched some junk TV, starting a 50 year old British spy film called THE IPCRESS FILE, with Michael Caine, based on a Len Deighton novel.  After twenty minutes, I turned back to Sports Center.

View  Bemus From Long Point
Evie left for Lakewood around 12:30, to the Y and get her shopping done at Wegman's because it was 5% Tuesday for us golden agers.  I took my usual siesta, feeling refreshed when I woke, and began a new Bruno The Detective Novel.  Around 3:00, I got my mojo going, got out my bike, pumped up the tries, threw it in the Pilot and drove to Bemus.  I had a surprisingly good ride and my fleece was almost too warm.  I rode down to the end of Lakeside Drive, then down through the woods to the tip of Long Point and back to Bemus, almost an hour on the road.  And I felt surprisingly good and pleased with myself, having gotten a bike ride in on an early March day.  When I got home, Evie was driving in, so I helped unpack the car and put away groceries.

Woodlawn From Long Point
We then took it easy until wine  time, enjoyed it until about 6:30 when it was starting to get dark. Then, Evie roasted some asparagus, heated up the leftover enchiladas, and made a salad.  We then ate dinner, enjoying the enchiladas as much as we did the previous day and the asparagus tasted especially good for some reason.  We watched some of the election results, then an outrageously funny and profane Real Time with Bill Maher, before ending the night with two more episodes of HOUSE OF CARDS.  We went to bed at 11:00,  happy with the fact that Drumpf seems to be a shoe in as the Republican nominee and this blowhard is going to do 'great.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...