Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Fog, Sleet, Snow On A Pink Sky Morning


6:59
7:00
7:00
We are both up at 6:30, in time to watch a band of pink appear on the Eastern shore, then blur as the fog rolled in, disappear when it started to sleet, then snow.  It's 28º and they expect more rain or wet snow later in the day.  At the moment, Long Point has disappeared behind the heavy fog.

Redpoll/House Finch?
Yesterday was an unsettling morning for me, no yoga and I had a dentist appointment to check out a bum tooth later in the day.  Thus, the morning seemed bumpy, as I am used to yoga, rushing off after breakfast and coffee at 9:00.  Instead, I settled in, like a Sunday though we had lots to do, to get ready for our new mattress which is arriving this afternoon.  We both are in the cleaning, tidying up, and getting rid of things mood, so we spent most of the morning upstairs in the three bedrooms.  I have been winnowing down my books, getting rid of those that I have not looked at in five years.  Why keep them if almost everything is available on line or at a library.  It killed me to get rid of some of them, especially the large coffee table sort but we never look at them, never have them out, just put them away in a back bedroom.  I filled up two blue IKEA bags, and a couple of boxes and drove to the Ashville Library around 11:30.  Tabby, the librarian, was excited to get them because we also got rid of at least half of the cookbooks we have collected over the years.  Since I was in Ashville, I stopped at the Ashville General Store and picked up a sub, the Bangtail, roast beef, bacon, mushrooms, onions, Swiss, provolone, ranch dressing, and hot sauce, quite a combination.  Evie and I devoured it as we watched The Daily Show, two thirds for me, a third for her, as she took time off from working upstairs on the trim, roughing it up with sand paper, getting it ready to paint.

5:37
After lunch, Evie continued with the readying of the bedrooms for painting, and I continued to go through my books.  I had two more IKEA bags of books, so on my way to Jamestown, I stopped at the library again, to drop off the books, as the cat, Libby looked on.  I waited for an hour at the dentist, to find out I may need a new crown, the best scenario.  Why didn't I get my father's teeth, and why didn't I start brushing more consistently and flossing earlier in life.  At my age, there seems always to be a dental problem and a hefty bill.  No wonder dentists are not much liked.  They rarely have good news yet charge you for it.  I should stop complaining, go with the flow, and move on, right.

6:00 p.m.
6:00 p.m.
When I got home, Evie had had it with work, so we sat down and Evie enjoyed a glass of wine and for some reason, a bloody mary sounded good, so I had two, with Clamato, horseradish, lemon, vodka and hot sauce. It's one drink that always seems healthy.  We had scalloped potatoes and ham for dinner, reminding me of dinners when I was a boy, and we finally watched a great movie, BOYHOOD.  It's an amazing film, and chronicles a family, a mom, dad, a son and daughter, as they change and grow over twelve years.  Richard Linklater, the writer and director, took time each year, for twelve years, to film the change/growth in the family, using the same actors throughout.   The major focus was the six year old, Mason, who we watched grow up over a twelve year period, to a thoughtful, interesting teenager.  We see the parents and kids deal with divorce, lack of money, a mixed family when the mother gets married again, then another divorce.  Through all this, the father stays involved, and we see both parents enduring love for their two children despite their troubles. The film was close to three hours long and neither one of us were bored, almost in tears by the end because of the verisimilitude of the film.  The mother, played by Patricia Arquette, won best supporting actress for her role, and Ethan Hawke was equally good as the father. But Ellar Coltrane, the young boy/man who played Mason, stole the film.  Watching him grow up on screen, from a five year old to a freshmen in college, was the joy, the core, of the film.  Although I have not seen BIRDMAN yet, which one of the Academy Award for Best Picture, I cannot believe that it's better than  BOYHOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...