Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Sunny Tuesday Morning---Wow


7:05
7:40
It's invigorating to get up to a blue sky, then a wonderful sunrise, light filling the living room as Evie and I sit on our couch, enjoying dawn, our coffee, and NPR.  It's cold out, again, 19º, will hit perhaps 30º later in the day, but the 'sun is all.'

St. Patrick's Day, for me, started with yoga at 9:30,  and  I had a great savasna or falling water, or legs up the wall, to end class and left feeling groovy.  Stopped at Ryder's, for a French Press, then the library to pick up three thrillers, the the bank for cash, a car wash and home again for the rest of the day.  It was a miserable morning to be out, wet, cold, some rain or sleet, dirty snow on both sides of the road, no color, just dirty gray and soot.  It looked like a good day to stay inside, keep warm, and think about our friends in Florida!
Toasted Cheese and Jam For Lunch
Lunch was one of the all time favorites, the comfort food of toasted cheese and soup, except that the toasted cheese was made with my bread, the soup was Evie's home made vegetable and to make the sandwiches special, I always spread jam on them.  I know this sounds gross to most people, but try it and you won't go back to a simple toasted cheese  We spent part of the afternoon watching TV, Stewart and The Nightly show, reading, and I took a wonderful nap.  I woke refreshed and lo and behold, the sun came out, the sky miraculously turned blue, the lake icy white.

Bell Tower At Chautauqua Institution

Purell House At CI
Woods At CI
So, I put on my hiking boots, got out my poles, and drove to the Chautauqua Institute, hoping the roads would be clear enough to walk safely.  I would guess close to 90% of the roads were ice free, some of the side streets still had snow.  But it felt good to walk there again, to feel the cold wind on my face as I walked along the lake on the north end,  then the warmth of it at my back when I headed back to the car.  The lake at the north end is still frozen, few pockets of water like around our house.  It was a good hour walk, and I got home just in time for a glass of wine before Evie started dinner.

Vermouth Drenched Scallops (Restaurant worthy)
For dinner, we had what is becoming our favorite dinner, among many, yes, scallops with butter, lemon, shallots, and vermouth.  Evie has discovered the trick to making this a special dinner, brushing butter and oil on the scallops before browning them, pulling them out after three or four minutes, then adding the vermouth, lemon, shallots, broth and garlic.  With the sauce simmering, it was mixed with the scallops and pasta, then left to marinate for a few minutes, while the broccoli finished. I did up the dishes as Evie worked and plated the scallops and pasta, and we then adjourned to the TV room to watch a predictable, some what silly comedy, with a great cast, THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU.  It did get better as it progressed and we ending up liking two the actors, the only two who seemed real, Jason Batemen and Adam Driver.  By the way, dinner was delicious. We then watched some of Idol from last week before going to bed.


New Think:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...