Friday, March 20, 2015

Winter's Last Hurrah?

8:00
8:30 Snow
I woke up to a light snow, not enough to cover the ground yet, but it's falling.  It's now 8:00, the lake a blue from the falling snow, 33º at the moment and it may get to 39º later in the day. Right now it's a foggy, gloomy gray, and it feels like Saturday but it's only Friday.

Yesterday, I drove off to Bemus in brilliant sun and blue skies to the Bemus Point Inn at 8:00 for breakfast with three of the guys, minus two snow birds.  We have not been together for close to six weeks because of travel, so it was good to catch up with everyone.  No big news, the biggest perhaps the column collapsing at the CI amphitheater, costing quite a few dollars to fix despite insurance. After breakfast, I came home briefly before driving to Lakewood for yoga at 10:00.  Yin is always an enjoyable class, little strain, lots of holding positions for three of four minutes and a large class, with two other guys, both becoming regulars like me.
Still Fishing
Amish, Too
I hurried home because March Madness was beginning at 12:30 and I was not sure who was playing, what games were on TV.  So, I had lunch of vichyssoise and toast with peanut butter and jelly, to begin an afternoon of watching games for 10 or 15 minutes, then going off to read, do something or take a nap.  I did manage to watch the thrilling end of a couple of upsets, but waited for the Ohio State game at 5:00, a game they won also in the closing minutes.  I cannot say I am as thrilled with March Madness as I used to be, kind of an overload, like most sports when it used to be only a game or two, now you can watch ten.
A Neighbor, Lacing Her Skates
While I was wasting time watching games, when I should have been outside enjoying the sunshine, Evie was busy in the kitchen because we were having the McClures over for dinner.  The major projects, a lemon meringue pie and a cheesy cauliflower.  As usual, what seems like a simple dinner with  friends ended up taking much more time in the kitchen, even if I did most of the cleaning up, in between games.  All was done by 4:00, so we could relax until 6:30 when they came over.  We watched the lake dim, having beers and pretzels with homemade blue cheese dressing, Ron's favorite.  And for dinner, we had a Wegman's ham, something we rarely if ever serve but  have always liked when we have it at someone else's house. So, along with the cauliflower and ham, we had a great salad with pickled beets, and sweet potatoes. Everyone had two helping of ham, potatoes, and cauliflower, as we were all hungry.  It was a fun night, which we finished with lemon meringue pie, sitting in front of our fireplace.
Together Again
They left around 9:45, and we then did up the dishes, avoiding the morning mess, then went to bed after watching some TV.

I forgot to mention I bought Evie a present, just for the heck of it, six clear blue vintage dessert bowls from a shop I really like it Lakewood.  What a guy!  They are really neat and we cannot wait to use them with ice cream or fruit.  It's now 8:30 and it looks like a blizzard outside, Long Point disappearing behind the snow flakes.  It's beautiful even though it's the middle of March.
Six Dessert Bowls Giveth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...