Friday, May 30, 2014

Sunny But Hazy Morning

6:04
6:50
Up at 6:05, just as the sun was burning its way through the haze of early morning.  The lake is flawless, not even a wrinkle, as if I could skate on its surface.  Martins fill the morning sky, busy with nest building at our house.  We have three, perhaps four families.  It's quiet and motionless outside, a welcome change from the winds of yesterday.  At the moment, it's 52º, the high in the low 70's but sunny.

Let's see, what did we do yesterday.  It gets harder and harder to remember, the days seem the same, perhaps because they are (I am not complaining, just observing).  Yesterday began with Evie asking if I was going to breakfast with the boys.  I had forgotten it was Thursday, so I jumped up, got dressed, and was off to Bemus within ten minutes.  Four of us talked mostly about our high school athletic pursuits, like last week's discussion of our collegiate social lives, especially our introduction to beer drinking on campus.  After breakfast, I returned home briefly before driving to yoga at 10:00, a class packed like sardines, lots of work on the sore backs of all the gardeners in class.  Just what we needed.  If I don't go to yoga, I feel at a loss that morning, as routine takes over.  There's always something to do, however, a hike, a bike ride, work around the house but I am used to yoga.

When I got home, Evie had potted all the petunias in their window boxes, ready for hanging, and planted the 'hot pink' ivy geraniums in pots.  The geraniums remind me of both Turkey and Greece because they seemed ubiquitous in all the windows of the homes along the coastlines.  Against the white, box like homes, they always stood out, bringing color to an otherwise white washed canvas. Here they are just one more color in a green garden background.

After lunch, we planted some grasses on the hill behind our house, filling empty spaces between our pine trees, hoping they will create a nice fence of green.  We also worked in the garden, Evie weeding and I cut down most of the dead clematis vines, hoping they are still alive.  They always look dead but shoots of green are beginning their annual climb upwards, part of the miracle of sun and rain.  It's no wonder our ancestors worshipped the sun and rain gods.

We tried to read and sunbathe on our dock but the wind kept picking up, demanding we wear a fleece, and even that was not enough.  So we ended up inside or on the porch.   Around 4:00, Evie needed to exercise so she cut our grass one more time.  Surprisingly, it seemed to need it, having grown quite a bit in a day or two.  We had the yard wrapped up by 6:00, everything put away, so we could enjoy our preprandial beer, cheese (Greek kashkaval), and crackers on our porch.  Around 6:45, Evie went in and put together our dinner, an omelette, with sides of asparagus, home fries, bacon, and a salad, lots of contrasting tastes which I love.  Again, not much on the TV, so we watched a couple of more episodes of Friday Night Lights before heading up to bed. I did not much like the book I was reading, MOTHER'S MILK  by  Edward St. Aubyn so I switched, rare for me, to another thriller, THE CAIRO AFFAIR by Olen Steinhauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...