Saturday, May 10, 2014

A Clean, Well Washed And Sunny Morning

6:38
7:47
It's 6:35, a bright and blinding sun hovers over Long Point and we are both up, sleeping in sort of.  Birds are singing, the lake's motionless, as the clouds slowly invade the day.  It's a warm 55º, perhaps some rain this morning, then  clearing later in the day.  It's now 7:45 and numerous barn swallows are swirling around our end dock pieces, looking for nesting nooks.  Supposedly they, like purple martins,  are a kind of natural pest control, devouring up to 50 mosquitoes an hour, 850 a day.  Wow.

Yesterday a miracle happened at yoga, class was all guys, two of us and our teacher Courtney.  I had never seen him before, but it sounds like he might become a regular.  And he and Courtney had having lived for a time in Japan in common although he grew up in Jamestown.  Anyways, I have now been a participant in a all guys class.  After class, I stopped at Ryders, a new barrista named Hanna, then on to Tri James Gravel pit to pick up four buckets of tops soil for the area of lawn which I reseeded on Thursday.  When I got home, I transferred the dirt to my wheel barrel, and both Evie and I worked in the yard, working up a sweat because it was so warm, till lunch, of cauliflower soup and tuna sandwiches.

It was unseasonably warm out and I don't like to complain about the weather but 80+ degree weather does not seem spring like and it makes working outside less than desirable.  While Evie went to the YMCA, I worked in the yard some, first spraying myself with OFF to keep off the gnats or black flies that have suddenly appeared, like the white blossoms on the Bradford pears, the first tree so far to bloom around here.  Even the azaleas have yet to bloom.  Anyways, after an hour, I was soaked in sweat from edging and digging and chopping up the beds and the sky started to darken.
Lake Begins To Ripple
Within twenty minutes, a storm hit, heavy winds but not much rain though it hit Lakewood, when Evie was driving home, torrential rain, a couple of trees down, one over RT. 394, slowing traffic as she came home.  Fortunately, at least around here at Woodlawn, there was no damage and within an hour the storm was past us.
Threatening Storm Clouds
We both took showers, felt much better, and relaxed before dinner with wine and some cheese and crackers.  The lake settles down at this hour, around dinner, and even the fishermen go home.  We had leftover spaghetti for dinner, with a salad, and could not find much to watch on TV other than Stewart and Colbert, and a couple of episodes of Friday Night Lights and yes, they did win, finally, the State Championship in Texas...no surprise.  I finished DIFFICULT MEN, about the male leads in TV over the past 15 years, like Tony Soprano, Walter White and Don Draper, and I enjoyed it.  Enough of this serious stuff, so I picked up John D. Mc Donald's first Travis Mc Gee thriller, THE DEEP BLUE GOOD-BY.  It strikes me as a bit overwritten, as he's tries to find the right tone for the next twenty novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...