Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Starry, Starry Morning

Well, we are back at the lake, back to our routine, and I was up before six, to a dark house, and fumbled my way to my sweats, turned on the coffee pot, and went outside to a starry sky, a crescent moon, and trees bare of leaves, opening up the sky for the first time since May.  It was 29 degrees outside and the far side of the lake, just visible, seemed foggy, unclear, and as I write now, as the eastern sky begins to lighten, I can hardly see beyond the lawn's edge, as the lake is thick with a early November fog.  Yesterday's drive from Darien was easy, as usual, little traffic, a little over 7 hours, with stops to pick up our lawn mower and get the mail.  During the first few hours, through the Berkshires, the trees appeared lavender, as the leaves had fallen, the mountains stained green only by pines; later, however, as we got into central and western New York, the leaves were colorful, browns and golds, and the larches were bright yellow, setting off the greens and browns, a sharp, distinct contrast to the rest of the hills and mountains.  It was good to get back to the lake though we had a great trip and miss the grandchildren already, but beauty and  view of the lake and surrounding hills cannot be beat.  Most people live enclosed by other homes, with hardly a vista  but by living on the lake, we get a wonderful vista, are able to see for miles, which I love.  As I write this, ironically, I have absolutely not view, as the fog is so thick I could spread it on my toast.  We head into Cleveland today, to see my doctor,  but also hit Crate and Barrel and Trader Joe's.  Off to vote, drop off our car, drop off a bill at Honda for reinbursement, then home before we head to Ohio.

It's a beautiful day now, clear skies, crisp weather, a great day to spend on the lake; unfortunately, we are driving to Ohio.  All the leaves have fallen on our tress, though the lawn is not that covered, as the wind has blown quite a few to Leonards.  I know tomorrow will be a big day for mulching the leaves, putting out our canvas porch, getting things organized for the coming winter and cold weather. We did vote awhile ago, with all the other retirees...I hardly saw anyone who was not retired which is to be expected, I suppose, in the middle of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...