Friday, August 12, 2016

Waiting For The Rain


6:03
Kayak Morning at 7:40
Morning Sky
It's 6:40 and I have been up since 6:00, and it's a sticky morning, high humidity from yesterday's and last night's rain and not a whisper of wind.  In fact, just as I started this, it started to rain but it lasted about 30 seconds.

Afternoon Storm Arising
And when I say waiting for it to rain, that's about all I did yesterday.  We desperately need rain and the predictions for the next week call for rain each day.  Anyways, because of computers and satellites, I can virtually track thunderstorms.  So I sat around yesterday, checking my computer, watching the thunderstorms come and go much of the day, usually moving either north or south of us until late afternoon when we finally got hit by heavy rains, thunder and lightning.

August Down Pour
Both Evie and I sat out on our front porch, listening to the rain, the thunder, watching the neighborhood street fill with water and mud from some of the unpaved roads.  It's been awhile since we had this much rain and I can see how the Chautauqua Mall parking lot flooded the other day.  We must have gotten at least two or three inches in an hour or so before it cleared up enough to walk around the neighborhood, avoiding puddles, checking out the now free flowing Woodlawn creek.  We even had pooling water in parts of our yard for the first time this summer which has since disappeared.

Clouding Up
Anyways, that was the excitement for the day.  I did have to drive to Lakewood with Evie to pick up my Accord which was in for a safety check and new brakes.  Now all three of my cars are legal and ready for another year.  I still am of two minds as to whether I should trade in the Pilot and get a truck or just  trade it in or just keep it.  I imagine I will do what I usually do in a situation like this, punt or basically stick with the status quo.  Much of the day, Evie continued to catch up and clean up and organize and throw out, so I will have a full car on the run to the Transfer Station on Saturday.  I watched the Olympics on and off but am getting bored with much of it.  Thank goodness we can DVR much of it and avoid the numerous commercials.

For dinner, Evie put together a potato and cauliflower dish, with Indian flavors, and it was tasty along with the leftovers from the previous night.  We got caught up on Bill Maher's Real Time, and watched another episode of The Night Of on HBO.  I was happy to get back to Sully in Richard Russo's Nobody's Fool around 10:00.

It's 8:15 and I have just had a great kayak paddle over to Long Point, to Sandy Bottom and home, then a swim to cool off, a few casts with my fishing rod, and back to finish the blog.  Finally, I feel back in my routine, enjoying the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...