Tuesday, June 16, 2015

More Rain, Less Heat


7:07
I was up just before 7:00, to another wet morning as we had at least another half inch of rain overnight.  Fortunately, our side yard has absorbed most of the the rain, so we don't have puddles,  just on the road.  It's 68º, cooling off a bit but it still feels close.  Rain is possible this morning, the sky certainly looks threatening but it will clear up this afternoon.

I began the week, like most with a really good yoga class, nothing vigorous, but lots of softening, so that I felt energized, even good after class.  I had lots to do, so I did not tarry, stopping for coffee, then on to Home Depot to pick up grass seed for our damaged yard.  And I made a quick stop at Wegman's, dropped a package off at the UPS service, returned recyclables, then stopped at the Tri James Gravel pit, and filled six buckets with topsoil.
I Know, Another Happy Heron
When I got home, sweaty and uncomfortable, I jumped in the lake to cool off some, then Evie made my lunch, the leftover koftes with pita bread and tomato sauce, just as good as Friday night.  I then spread the buckets of top soil on the lawn, filling some of the holes created by the downing of our tree and went back two more times to get top soil, enough for the day, for my back especially.  While I got the top soil, Evie was leveling the yard and putting down grass seed, the kind guaranteed to grow, whatever that means.  What if it doesn't rain?  Will it still grow.  I had a hard time picking out grass seed because there were so many choices, each with its advantage, like less water needed, or quick growing, sun/shade mix, or guaranteed to grow. We used to just buy grass seed.  

We were done around 4:00 and we both went out on the dock and went for a swim, the waters refreshing but murky from the rain and run offs from the creeks and yards.  We then decided to reward our hard work with a Manhattan on the front porch around dinner time and watch it rain.  But every time we say that, it clears up, which it did, and the yard, dock, lawn, and lake all looked freshly washed, the sun brightening up everything.  We sat out for an hour, always marveling at our luck to be able to be sitting on our porch, with an ever changing view of the the lake and Long Point.
Thanks To Paul Storey, For The Ohio Bobcat Glasses
For dinner, Evie had put together portabello mushrooms, stuffed with garlic spinach, three cheeses, and tomatoes.  All she had to do was put it in the oven for 15 minutes and we had dinner, with a couple of fried eggs to set it off.  Earlier, we had an email from Netflix saying that one of our favorites series, Rita, third year was available.  We wrote Beth to tell her and she wrote back 'awesome.' And my sister Ellen also emailed us to say Rita was on Netflix.  I guess some of us like it. So we watched a couple of episodes before going up to bed to read, knowing that thunderstorms were coming.  I, of course, slept through them, but Evie was up, wakened by the heavy rains.

We are looking forward to today, to celebrate our good friend, Linda McClure's 40th birthday, with stops at Brazil's Craft Beer in Jamestown, then on to Forte for dinner.

It's after 8:00, just started to rain, so Evie decided it was perfect weather to go for a swim, gray, wet and muggy.  She loved it, swimming while it rains, of course, and I should have gone with her but was too comfortable sitting here on my couch.  Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...