Monday, June 8, 2015

Let It Rain, Just Don't Thunder

6:18
6:45
7:00
A fitful night's sleep, perhaps because I stayed up until midnight to watch the Cavs finally beat Golden State in overtime. Not a very relaxing way to spend an evening.  So, I was up at 6:00, a pretty morning, the sun having risen earlier, at 5:40.  Soon, however, things clouded up, it started to rain and thunder, and the grays returned to the lake.  Two male martins, however, sit on their perch, seemingly unfazed by the rain.  Tough guys.

Yesterday was a summer like day, humid and hot, especially if we were outside, working in the yard.  We should have kayaked early but lacked the mojo, enjoying yet another Sunday relaxing on the couch for too long, reading the paper, sipping our coffee, planning our day.

I finally got my garage in order, my obsession I guess, since I sweep and organize it every couple of weeks during the warmer months.  I did move all the lawn furniture out, as summer seems to have arrived and we will need it.  I cleaned up our nasty looking buoys with bleach, did some watering and then drove off to the Lighthouse Grocery at noon, to get some ground chuck for burgers and a sub sandwich for lunch.  It was busy, even on a Sunday, as the Chautauquans are back.

At 2:00, after lunch, our good friend, Barb Cassell, from Hudson stopped by for an hour.  She had spent the weekend with a friend who has a house in Niets Crest.  Her youngest, Pat, just graduated from WRA and will be going to Fordham's Manhattan campus next September.  So their life will change dramatically come September, empty nesters for the first time.  When she left, we both powered up the Honda mowers and cut the lawns.   We both were drenched with sweat when we finished, so we grabbed a beer, relaxed on the dock, then went for a cold swim, me for the first time.  Typically, it was cold as heck when we first got in but once we got used to it, the water, clear and cold, felt great though I admit we did not linger.

I fired up the grill around 7:15, cooked the burgers while Evie sauteed some mushrooms, made some cole slaw.  And that was it, burgers with the fixings and cole slaw, all we needed before the start of the Cavs game, which took over the next four hours, alas.  I gravitated between hope and despair, excitement and boredom, as Lebron, too often, dribbled out the clock, before shooting or passing.  It makes the game boring and predictable, yet they won so what can I say.
7:26
It's 7:20, the rain has ebbed, Evie's still sleeping and I am ready to get going.  Perhaps breakfast, then yoga at 9:30, a coffee and fresh eggs from Ryder's, and home.  Just walked out on the dock, eating my yogurt, granola, and blueberries, as the rain has stopped.  Evie's up, at 8:00, time to download my many photographs of the changing morning sky.  And it's started to rain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...