Thursday, June 18, 2015

Another Morning, Another Day

7:24
8:02
Up at 7:40 to a slate gray sky, a bit of light streaming off in the distance.  It's 63º, warmer than yesterday but the highs will remain in the 70's.  Rain is forecast much of the day.  We will have to see whether we get more or not.  For now, our yards are saturated and the lake's high, so we don't need more rain.  I cannot imagine what our area would look like if we were Houston, which was expected to get 15 inches of rain.

Yesterday was as expected, mostly cloudy, some sun later in the day.  I started the day with a good yoga class, though baseball cap attended, late of course.  Why does it bother me?  Breathe.  Repeat. After class, I got my first iced coffee of the summer, drove to Home Depot, then Wegmans before coming home.  While I was gone, Evie had been working in the yard.  That's the strange thing about yards and gardens.  Once we think we have them under control, we can spend the next day working in them, weeding or trimming or cutting, thinking we are finally finished.  But the next day, we can do the same thing.  It's like Groundhog Day.  So, Evie spent most of the day outside, weeding and reseeding the parts of our yard that we reseeded the day before.  Of course, we ran out of top soil, so I went off to Tri James and picked up another six barrels of gold and spread it.  Admittedly, we do have low spots from the felling of the tree, so we can use quite a bit of dirt.

I finished A GOOD IN RUINS by Kate Atkinson before my loan ran out and loved it.  Along with LIFE AFTER LIFE, they both paint detailed and realistic pictures of life in Great Britain during the WW II, with Ursula, as a daughter and nurse, trying to survive the Nazi bombings, and Teddy, as a pilot of over 70 missions over Europe. And much more.

We finished up around 5:30, in time to sit out on the dock for a beer.  I had a Shandy, Labatt's attempt at mixing lemonade with beer.  The results are fair, not a fan but I have a 11 pack to go.  Earlier in the day, Evie had slow cooked a pork shoulder, so we planned on having barbecued pork for dinner.  We had bought a barbecue sauce from Gio's, a  great little restaurant on our way to Virginia.  Unfortunately, the sauce must of gone bad because neither one of us much liked the pork.  Evie ended up not eating it and I had a stomachache, real or imagined after I realized something was not right.  We watched the first couple of episodes of PBS's series, Case Histories, based on the novels of Kate Atkinson.  They are worth watching and we especially like the main detective, Jackson Brodie, a Jon Hamm look alike from Mad Men.  He exudes masculinity and good looks, like Hamm and the women agree.

Today I am driving to Erie, to Presque Isle State Park, where I will ride my bike on the great trails, all flat and paved.  At 1:30, I have an appointment for my car at the Honda dealer, getting it checked over to make sure it's safe and running well for our trip to North Carolina for the Fourth of July.  Rain is forecast but it should not bother my bike riding unless it really pours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...