Tuesday, April 8, 2014

"That's Not A Buick"


6:50

Up later than usual this morning, at 6:45, mostly because I stayed up and watched the finals of the NCAA.  And I woke to the mantra, 'That's Not A Buick," a commercial I have now watched at least 30 times, interrupting various March Madness games.  Note to Buick...I will never buy a Buick. Anyways, it's a miserable morning here at the lake, back to normal for Spring, 45º, heavy winds and rain last night, puddles in the yard, more branches down, the possibility of snow or sleet later in the day. Nothing like Chautauqua.
First Belted Kingfisher Of Spring

A good yoga class yesterday morning at 9:30, filled with ladies as usual, kibitzing away until Danielle reins them in.  She is thinking of expanding the practice, restoring a building in Lakewood, putting both her Massage Therapy and Yoga practice in one  spot, along with other businesses.  It's a good idea because she will have her own building but I hate to think of yoga going chic or modern.  I like the small town atmosphere, where everyone knows each other, even if classes are crowded.  I hope that will not be lost.  And it won't happen for quite awhile.  Change, dislike it, as I told the class, to much laughter.

We did not do much yesterday, the weather not cooperating, though Evie forced herself to go to the YMCA, one of those days where the last thing you want to do is workout.  She did wash the kitchen floor three times, quite a workout I argued, but she still wanted to get in some aerobic exercise.  While she was gone, I ate a lunch of leftover spaghetti, and watched the second half of The Wolf Of Wall Street.  I did not like it much, put off by the behavior of the stock traders, their antics, excesses, a result of their untrammeled quest for money and power.  According to some critics, it's a black comedy, filled with laughter, the kind of slap stick associated with Jerry Lewis.  Well, I didn't get it, never laughed, though a celebration in the office of a successful sale,  featuring a naked marching band and majorettes, had a silly, ridiculous over the top quality to it. What was the purpose of making the movie?  Entertain? Teach a lesson? Provoke laughter?  Make fun?  Hard to tell.
Ubiquitous Crows, Feeding On A Fish

I read much of the afternoon, wishing I could get out for a walk but the weather was terrible.  I did drive to the Smith Library, to return a book, to pick up a book I reserved but they could not find it. Strange though it's happened before...my account says a book is ready to pick up at the Smith Library but they don't have it.

Our dinner was easy, leftover chicken picata, with rice and salad, and we watched GRAVITY, the multi award winning film.  Neither one of us were taken with it, not a surprise because we both are hard to please lately.  There were a couple of tense scenes which grabbed us early on, and the technology was amazing, the reality of being lost in space surreal. But the story was tired; we had seen it before, Apollo 11, and we both laughed when her capsule filled with water, when it hit the water and Sandra Bullock had to swim to safety, struggling finally to safety on a beach.  We expected cannibals to appear.  Sorry.

At 9:00, we got out the chips and dip, what we had been waiting for all evening, and I stayed up till the bitter end to watch UConn defeat Kentucky, a great game in the first half, less so in the second as neither team played that well.  Once again, one of the three of four basketball powerhouses take the title.  I did not get to bed till midnight, read for a half hour before falling asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...