Wednesday, April 30, 2014

More Rain, More Clouds, More Wind

6:20
7:05
8:00 AM, Yesterday Morning
It's 7:05 and I have been up for an hour, watching the threatening morning fall like sky lighten some, as the wind howls still, at least for the past twenty four hours, the lake choppy, the temperature the same as yesterday, 43º.   I have already heard enough about Donald Sterling, owner of the LA Clippers and his racist remarks.  I thought the Supreme Court had decided last week that 'race no longer matters' in the USA!  It seems, however,  that the news outlets too often latch on to a story, and never let it go.  There must be something else happening in the world worth covering.
Walking Victoria/Woodlawn Woods
Finally, A Grouping of Spring Flowers
I was bored and antsy yesterday morning, no yoga, terrible weather outside, nothing to do or nothing that I wanted to do around the house.  So, about 10:00,  I got out my rain jacket and braved the heavy winds (a constant 20-30 mph all day) and trudged through the Victoria/Woodlawn woods.  Surprisingly, it felt good to be outside, windy and rainy though it may have been.  Just being outside is salubrious, at least for me.  Evie continues to be a good girl and resisted the temptation to stay home, went off to the gym for a workout around noon.  I  made lunch, vegetable soup and a chicken/bagel sandwich, watched True Detective, then read some until Evie returned around 2:00.
7:18 p.m.
We had decided this would be a good day to see a movie, half priced pop corn and senior rates, right, so we drove to Lakewood to see the hot new movie, Captain America, The Winter Soldier, which had gotten some good reviews.  My first shock was paying an extra three bucks for the film because it was in 3D.  It my first 3D movie since 1953 when I was scared out of my mind by Vincent Price in HOUSE OF WAX, a year later by PHANTOMS OF THE RUE MORGUE.  So, I was interested to see a modern 3D film, albeit not the kind we usually enjoy.  This was the kind of movie my grandsons would love, lots of violence, especially hand on hand contact, amazing visual effects, perhaps for us the major reason for seeing the movie.  The story was lame and predictable, the action and sounds almost too much for our minds.  The fighting was so fast, the camera moved so quickly, that it was hard to see any of the participants landing a punch.  It's definitely a movie made for the 'gamer generation,' which is what it reminded me of.  I was glad to have seen it, to see what 3D movies were like, though Evie was bored to tears through most of it.  Afterwards, we went to the Rod and Gun, sat at the practically empty bar for a beer, stopped in Lakewood to buy some Chinese but discovered the restaurant had gone out of business within the last month.  So we went to the Ashville Country Store, picked up a Cuban sandwich (called a Highjacker), the recipe supposedly from Neal, the owner of the old Triangle Restaurant, and went home for dinner.  We caught up on Stewart and Colbert, then Silicon Valley and another episode of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...