Friday, April 18, 2014

A Sun Filled Morning

6:38
Purple Martin Scouts Are Back
I was up at 6:30, in time to see the sun rise, the lake choppy, rafts of ducks floating on the lake, like flotsam, small pieces of black.  It's 37º and dare I suggest it, winter like days may be a thing of the past. There is little evidence of spring in the yards and woods, no daffodils, no tulips, at least in our area. Only  hundreds of dead perch, on the eastern shore of the lake, a result the newspaper suggests lack of oxygen in the lake because of the heavy winter.

Yesterday was a nice day, lots of sun but still relatively cool, in the low 40's.  Neither of us felt particularly energetic, so we did not have any great projects.   I did go to Yin Yoga, a small class because of spring break for the area students.  As usual, a good class, with lots of attention from Danielle.  On the way home, I stopped at the Tri James office, next to Smith Boys, and talked them into letting me pick up some #2 stones from their stone quarry next to RT #86.  For ten dollars, I get 20 buckets though I have to fill them myself.

 When I got home, Evie was ready to go to the gym, after having been in Mayville early for a doctor's appointment.   While she worked out, I ate lunch, watched some TV, and started my new book, having finished AMERICANAH, a novel I really enjoyed and would highly recommend.  I will blog on it later in the day.  Around 3:30, I was antsy, so I drove off to the Tri James quarry, shoveled my requisite four buckets of stones, drove them home and spread them out on our road, which always seems to be set with puddles.  I think Shane, who clears the road of snow during the winter, takes off the top layer of stone each year, leaving mostly mud.  The only problem with this task is its hard on my back, so I have to be careful to not overdo it, to keep my back straight when I shovel, learned this from yoga.

Another semi easy dinner for Evie, pre cooked barbecued ribs from Trader Joes, sweet potatoes and home made coleslaw.  We relaxed before dinner with a beer, enjoying being back in our living room, as 'the long day waned,' the title of a wonderful trilogy, set in the Far East, by Anthony Burgess, the British writer, most famous for having written A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. We were at a loss as to what to watch, so I put on the newest Hunger Games film and we watched about half of it, as we lost interest when the games were to begin...too much violence for Evie.  So we watched some American Idol before heading off to bed.

By the way, I noticed recently that I have written over 1600 blog entries, having started it in 2009, but have not missed a day since October, of 2010, when I started to take it seriously.  Amazing for me since I am not very disciplined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...