Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Waiting For The Blizzard (Rocco's in Fredonia, NY)

8:05
Total darkness when I got up at 6:15, and I am not yet used to DST.  I expected to see some snow outside but none as of the moment, just rain. Snow was supposed to have started last night at 2:00, now its been put off until early afternoon, when we are forecast to get up to twelve inches, single digit temperatures, and heavy winds, as the weather systems collide.  And despite the grayness, the rain, a couple of fishermen are out on the ice, in the lightening sky.

No yoga yesterday, in fact, I am taking a week off since we are heading to Florida next week, and I hope to practice at home with a app. on Evie's iPad...pretty cool and easy to follow.  Anyways, since I did not have yoga, I went for a walk at the CI, wanting to get in some aerobic exercise in the morning. Evie stayed home, wanting to get things done around the house, knowing she would go to the gym in the afternoon.

At 12:45, Evie drove off to the gym, and I went to the dentist for my final appointment (let's hope), as I was getting a new bridge.  It took close to two hours to get set, firm and comfortable, not my favorite way to spend an afternoon.  I then picked up my income tax return, finding I came out even this year. Things will change next year when I am forced to withdraw funds from my IRA's and then, the tax man will cometh.  Evie enjoyed her workout and stopped at both Sam's and Wegman's to make sure we had food and gas for the next couple of days.
Rocco's In Fredonia
Enjoying Clam Linguine with White Sauce
We had planned on going to the 1891 Opera House in Fredonia, to eat out and watch a movie, if the weather cooperated which it did.  We left about 5:30, picked up Linda and Ron and went to our new favorite restaurant, Rocco's Italian Restaurant, on Orchard Street, in Fredonia.  It's set in the center of a middle class neighborhood, the kind Evie and I grew up in Euclid, Ohio.  The restaurant is a bungalow, added on to, for the dining room and kitchen.  The inside is nothing to get excited about, a simple bar for eight or nine people, a small dining room, seating perhaps forty five.  Little ambiance, but wow, the food was amazing.  All four of us loved our meals, the interesting choices, and all confirmed we want to return. No wonder it was the top rated restaurant in the area though none of us had heard of it before I went searching on Google the day before.  Evie's dish was the favorite, an Eggplant Parmesan, with inch and a half slices of tender, breaded eggplant, on pasta with a great sauce.  We were in and out within an hour, even though the restaurant was almost full on a Tuesday night.
Fredonia's 1891 Opera House
We then went to the neat Opera House, on the square in Fredonia, a small, three hundred seat theater.  It was lovely inside, obviously refurbished and well taken care of, the jewel of Fredonia.  There were close to forty retirees and college professors along with us.  The movie was the newest Coen brother's flick called INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS.  An interesting but not plot driven film, it follows the travails of a young folk singer in New York City in 1961, just about the time Bob Dylan was making his name. Like a picaresque novel, we follow Llewyn's gigs from one venue to another, as he tries to make it big. He lives a life of an indigent, with no place to stay of his own, so he's always mooching a couch, even a meal off of others.  The film is realistic, even gritty at times, as we feel his frustration, see his passion for his art, and empathize with his struggles, admire his persistence.  I did not love the film, thought it was interesting if melancholy and the music was fun, but I don't think I would want to see it again.

We got home just after 10:15, a slow, foggy drive from Fredonia but no snow or ice, fortunately. We read and watched a bit of TV before going up to bed at 11:00.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...